tetazoo

Why did my score drop after improving utilization?

So, I found out that my credit score with TransUnion was 681 and much of that was due to my 102% utilization.  I paid off one of my cards and got my utilization down to 37%.  I actually paid off both, but waiting for the next statement on the other card.  Anyway, my score dropped 36 points down to 645.  Nothing else has changed other than mortgage and car have a tiny bit more principal paid on them.

guiness56

Re: Why did my score drop after improving utilization?

Cavifl45

maybe you have to give it another month to reflect on you credit

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Valued Contributor
thom02099

[ Edited ]

tetazoo wrote:

So, I found out that my credit score with TransUnion was 681 and much of that was due to my 102% utilization.  I paid off one of my cards and got my utilization down to 37%.  I actually paid off both, but waiting for the next statement on the other card.  Anyway, my score dropped 36 points down to 645.  Nothing else has changed other than mortgage and car have a tiny bit more principal paid on them.

What's the source?  You didn't indicate if this is a FICO score or from some other source, such as the TU site (a FAKO score), Credit Karma (also a FAKO score), or some other source. 

All things being equal, dropping util should result in a score increase.  However, it could take a cycle or 2 to fully see the complete results.  Paying off "one of the cards" and getting "utilization down to 37%" would indicate you have multiple cards at play here.  Depends on when their statement/reporting cycles are, as to when you'd see results.

Diners Club Premier MasterCard $50K / AMEX Gold NPSL / AMEX Zync NPSL / AMEX Blue Cash Preferred $14K / Bank of America Cash Rewards Signature Visa $15K / Merrill Lynch Plus Signature Visa $15K / Wells Fargo Propel 365 $15K / Chase Sapphire Preferred Signature Visa $10K / J P Morgan Select Signature Visa $10K / Chase Slate Visa $6K / CITI Diamond Preferred MasterCard $13.2K / Discover IT $10.5K / IberiaBank Select Visa $8K / 1st Command Bank Platinum Visa $7.5K // Home Depot $9.7K / Lowes $10K

EX = 799 EQ = 812 TU = 811 - 11/2014
tetazoo

It was my TransUnion score from Credit Karma.  The other credit card getting paid off should be reflected any day now, so I'm not sure if that means my score will drop even more or what.  BTW, I'm keeping my balances low, but non-zero and, since my original post, I have gotten a credit limit increase from $800 to $2400 and verified with AmEx that it was only a soft pull from their regular monitoring, not a hard pull.  Waiting to see the results of that as well.  Maybe three good things will drop my score by three times as many points?

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}