cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why did my transunion score drop by 45 points?

tag
Carebear2014

Why did my transunion score drop by 45 points?

I feel like crying and giving up at this point. I have no new collections reported. My last collections (total of 2) and judgement (total of 1) was 2 years 9 months ago. My utilization has actually gone down from about 15% to just 4%. I keep a balance of 0 on all 3 of my credit cards. My latest inquiry was back in February of this year.

Last month my transunion score increased from 670 to 702. Today, I saw my transunion score on my discover card statement and was shocked to see it was only 657. I thought it was a mistake. I'm very upset that the FICO quarterly alerts didn't warn me about this. I had to pay for a new credit report. I have no new collections, new judgements, or any new bad stuff on my report. A reason for the change is not even listed. Can someone tell me what happened?

I just feel a bit down now. I have been making sure I pay everything on time since my last collection over 2 years ago. I paid off all of my collections two years ago. My equifax score is 697 and my experian score is 680. Those two scores haven't dropped. My equifax score actually increased by a few points.
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Carebear2014

Re: Why did my transunion score drop by 45 points?

I double checked the names and addresses listed on my report and nothing new there either. So now I have one bad credit score. I've had nothing deleted from my report either. Just when I was starting to feel good about having almost good credit this happens. I pay all of my stuff on time including my credit cards. No new collections or judgements and my utilization is low. I never spend more than 20% of a credit card during a pay period and always pay it off in full.
Message 2 of 17
Carebear2014

I also limit my inquiries to no more than once a year or rarely twice within a 6 month span. What happened?
Message 3 of 17
Carebear2014

Mods, can you move this to the understanding credit score forum?
Message 4 of 17
Carebear2014

I just called transunion and they weren't helpful. I had a hard time understanding the guy and he just repeated the stuff that I already know such as credit score being affected by utilization, etc. What happened? Has anyone else ever experienced this? How can I bring it back up by next month? How can I prevent this from happening again?
Message 5 of 17
user5387
Valued Contributor

@Carebear2014 wrote:
I feel like crying and giving up at this point. I have no new collections reported. My last collections (total of 2) and judgement (total of 1) was 2 years 9 months ago. My utilization has actually gone down from about 15% to just 4%. I keep a balance of 0 on all 3 of my credit cards. My latest inquiry was back in February of this year.

Last month my transunion score increased from 670 to 702. Today, I saw my transunion score on my discover card statement and was shocked to see it was only 657. I thought it was a mistake. I'm very upset that the FICO quarterly alerts didn't warn me about this. I had to pay for a new credit report. I have no new collections, new judgements, or any new bad stuff on my report. A reason for the change is not even listed. Can someone tell me what happened?

I just feel a bit down now. I have been making sure I pay everything on time since my last collection over 2 years ago. I paid off all of my collections two years ago. My equifax score is 697 and my experian score is 680. Those two scores haven't dropped. My equifax score actually increased by a few points.

I don't know the answer to this question, but here are a few ideas.

1.  Until recently, this site was offering the TU 98 score.  It now offers the TU 08 score.

2.  The score from Discover is TU 08.

3.  A score from TU directly is likely to be a FAKO, distinct from both of these.

4.  If items #1-3 mean that different scoring models are being used, then the resulting numbers will not match each other, because different formulas are being applied to the report data.

Message 6 of 17
Carebear2014

Thank you for the response. I guess it's the new scoring system. I only go by the credit scores from FICO and Discover. Has anyone else experienced a 45 point reduction from the scoring system? When looking for a house which of the 3 FICO scores do they go by? I hope it's not transunion.

I feel as if I've been tricked. I've been thinking that all 3 of my scores were okay all of this time just to find out I have a bad score. Last month I was thrilled to see that I've finally made it into the 700s. It's been almost 3 years since my last late payment and one if my scores still remain poor after being reported as good. What else can I do? 45 points is a big drop. When I saw that score I thought I had something new in collections or it was a mistake.
Message 7 of 17
Carebear2014

According the the myfico transunion report:

My on-time payment history is: good

Amount of outstanding debt: very good

Length of credit history: not good

Amount of new credit: good

What else can I do? Will I ever have a good transunion score? My oldest credit account is 9 years I think. Am I being grossly penalized for my short credit history? I'm still in my 20s. Everything else is good so why such a low score?
Message 8 of 17
Carebear2014

So what if 2 of your scores are good but one is bad? Will I still have a hard time getting a house and car loans?
Message 9 of 17
user5387
Valued Contributor

@Carebear2014 wrote:
Thank you for the response. I guess it's the new scoring system. I only go by the credit scores from FICO and Discover. Has anyone else experienced a 45 point reduction from the scoring system? When looking for a house which of the 3 FICO scores do they go by? I hope it's not transunion.

I feel as if I've been tricked. I've been thinking that all 3 of my scores were okay all of this time just to find out I have a bad score. Last month I was thrilled to see that I've finally made it into the 700s. It's been almost 3 years since my last late payment and one if my scores still remain poor after being reported as good. What else can I do? 45 points is a big drop. When I saw that score I thought I had something new in collections or it was a mistake.

I don't want to keep causing trouble, but I need to point out that the mortgage business typically uses the 04 series of scores, and not the 08 ones found here and at Barclays, Discover, and Walmart.

These are available from DCU, PSECU, and the EQ web site (FICO Score Power product).

A description of how the 08 scores have changed from the 04 ones is here:

http://www.myfico.com/crediteducation/questions/fico8.aspx

An individual score may be higher or lower when moving back and forth between 04 and 08.

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.