cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is Transunion 100 points higher than Ex and Eq?

tag
tjonzun

Why is Transunion 100 points higher than Ex and Eq?

I have newly updated scored from all three companies, I just do not understand how the scores can be so wildly different.  There are no recent incidents that might not have hit Transunion or anything like that.  Any ideas?

Transunion 735, Equifax 633, Experian 629

credit scores
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
GFer
Valued Contributor

Re: Why is Transunion 100 points higher than Ex and Eq?

If you lay your reports down side by side, most likely you will see info on one or two reports that's not on the others. Different financial institutions use diff CRA to report to. For instance, some cc companies only report to TU. Some only report to TU and EX.

That's where most of the differences are. Plus, if I'm not mistaken, the three CRA use different versions of the scoring algorithms as well.

EQ 817, EX 815, TU 813 (Updated 1/5/18: TU 843

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 5
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Tjonzun, where did you get your scores from?
Message 3 of 5
tjonzun

I got them here.  I made the mistake at one time of using the transunion website and was disapointed to see my fico score was lower.
Message 4 of 5
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

The reason I asked is because there are so many different scores out there. Unfortunately, EX within the past week or so stopped allowing consumer access to their FICO score. Other sites also sell scores, but they are not FICO scores unfortunately, including the TU website.

Lay each report side-by-side. Make sure the same accounts are reporting. Look for lates on one but not the other. Look for balances on one but not the other. Look also on page 2 & 3 of your FICO report for TU and EQ. Look to see if that information matches. Then move on over to the Credit-At-A-Glance page to look for any differences include those annoying red flags, if any. Finally move over to the Accounts page and look at balances, dates, and again the red flags, if any.

Small things like a late on one but not the other can throw a score off. Balances higher on one but not the other can throw your score off. Collections or charge-offs could produce a 100 point spread. Report back if you find anything.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.