cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is my Experian score 74 points lower than my TU and Equifax scores?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why is my Experian score 74 points lower than my TU and Equifax scores?

Why is my Experian score 74 points lower than my TU and Equifax scores? It reports the same stuff as the other 2.  It is really affecting me getting an auto loan.  I have 596 Exp and 670  with the other 2.

Thanks in advance,

L C

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Why is my Experian score 74 points lower than my TU and Equifax scores?

Was the Experian score pulled by a lender? And if so, what kind of lender?

Message 2 of 19
Student_Loans_Kill
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Why is my Experian score 74 points lower than my TU and Equifax scores? It reports the same stuff as the other 2.  It is really affecting me getting an auto loan.  I have 596 Exp and 670  with the other 2.

Thanks in advance,

L C

BMW pulled a 540 experian for me while USAA and capital one pulled a 656 EQ and my TU98 is 664. All have the same info based on my trimerge USAA pull. I also got a FAKO from experian for a 601 score

Starting Score: 656
Current Score: 678 TU 08, 665 EQ MyFico, 698 EX PSECU
Goal Score: 7OO needed for Mortgage application

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm in the same boat.......590 on Experian, 651 on Transunion, exact same information for both. Would love to know the answer!

Message 4 of 19
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm in the same boat.......590 on Experian, 651 on Transunion, exact same information for both. Would love to know the answer!

Hello and welcome.

One thing I will ask is where did you get your scores? No one has been able to buy their own Experian FICO score since February of 2009. Creditors can pull Experian and also there is a CU (PSECU) in Pennsylvania that supplies that information to it's members only. You can only buy true FICO scores at a few places. One place is here at myFICO.

At one time you could also purchase your Transunion score at transunioncs.com but no more. Wal Mart now offers a TU08 score to those who have their store card and the Discover version.

Equifax will still sell you a FICO score found here: www.equifax.com/web-myfico-products/

Message 5 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello and welcome.

One thing I will ask is where did you get your scores? No one has been able to buy their own Experian FICO score since February of 2009. Creditors can pull Experian and also there is a CU (PSECU) in Pennsylvania that supplies that information to it's members only. You can only buy true FICO scores at a few places. One place is here at myFICO.

At one time you could also purchase your Transunion score at transunioncs.com but no more. Wal Mart now offers a TU08 score to those who have their store card and the Discover version.

Equifax will still sell you a FICO score found here: www.equifax.com/web-myfico-products/

Hi MarineVietVet,

I purchased all 3 credit reports + scores from the Equifax website, and that is the score I was given from Experian. I found it here -

http://www.equifax.com/complete_report/

Message 6 of 19
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi MarineVietVet,

I purchased all 3 credit reports + scores from the Equifax website, and that is the score I was given from Experian. I found it here -

http://www.equifax.com/complete_report/

Unfortunately none of those scores are FICO scores. The Equifax website does sell FICO's but the product you bought uses Equifax's own proprietary "Equifax Credit Score" and this score is not used by any lenders.

As I wrote before Experian has not sold their FICO score in over 3 years to consumers. What they sell now is called a "PLUS" score and these PLUS scores are not used by any lenders either.

Your true FICO scores could be higher or lower than these non-FICO (FAKO) scores.

(With all due credit to long time member llecs for this):

"Virtually everyone sells scores, but they are not all FICO scores. If you got scores from the big 3, then very likely 2 or all 3 of them are not FICO scores. Experian and TransUnion do not sell FICO scores on their website. We call these non-FICO scores, FAKOs, and can easily be as much as a few points to 100+ points off your real FICO when pulled the same day. If it didn't say "FICO" next to the score, then it isn't.

Other companies (e.g. freecreditreport.com, freescore.com, truecredit, creditkarma, Equifax Credit Complete, Quizzle, and dozens of others out there) sell scores, but they are nothing more than gimmicks and lenders don't use them. They do this because they want to avoid paying any fees to FICO and when they say "credit score" people buy it anyway on the assumption that it is a FICO. The scores are off because the formula is different, factors in different things as compared to FICO, and score ranges are different than FICO's (e.g. FICO is 300-850, Vantage is 501-990, PLUS is 330-830, TransRisk is 350-850, and so on)."

Message 7 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ahhh, I see....so basically what you're saying is I got duped for an extra $10 when I bought my credit reports Smiley Frustrated Well that explains Experian anyway....but my Equifax & Transunion FICO scores on this website are still off by 61 points, so I'm still confused!

Message 8 of 19
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Ahhh, I see....so basically what you're saying is I got duped for an extra $10 when I bought my credit reports Smiley Frustrated Well that explains Experian anyway....but my Equifax & Transunion FICO scores on this website are still off by 61 points, so I'm still confused!

If you bought TU and EQ from here, and compared exactly identical reports, you'd still find a small difference becuase the formula differs. In an ideal world, your reports should match, but I bet they don't. I'd review TU and EQ side-by-side. Look for major differences like accounts on one but not the other, baddies on one but not the other, balance differences on one and not the other, and even zero in on charge or no-preset limit CC accounts, and LOCs, as TU can sometimes look at those differently over EQ. Any of these differences can result in large score differences. In some situations, a new baddie can drop your score 100+ and not every baddie or good account will report on all 3.

A big guide in spotting these differences are the first 3 pages of each report. Look for differences in util, AAoA, length of credit history, inquiry count, recent accounts, or any other info if listed. The next page to target is the Credit At-A-Glance page. Those will show red flags as to what hurts. Finally, if all else fails review each account individually. Remember, any differences can mean a big point difference.

Message 9 of 19
CallyGal

Good Morning,

Apologizing in advance if this question has been asked previously..first time posting on here!

I have pulled my credit reports from TU  (743) and EQ (721) and having a WalMart CC have also pulled my FICO score there (684). 

Can someone tell me why the MyFICO TU score is 59 points higher than the WalMart TU score?

Are they not one in the same?

Thanks!

Calley

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.