cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is public record driving score so low?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why is public record driving score so low?

I have no past due accounts, a 13 year credit history and good ratios.  My score is in the low 700's because I have a tax lien which was put in place in 1996, and released in 2002.  I owed the IRS money on employee taxes, and they arranged a payment schedule of $100 per month.  I never missed a payment during that time, and there was no mark on my credit report.  But when I finished paying what I owed thim, on 11/2002, the "Release of Lien" was reported to the credit bureau, and my credit score went down.  It has now been 6 years, and I have a perfect payment history - not a single 30-day late mark.  But his one public record is driving down my score.  Any ideas about why such an old record is having such a bad affect on my FICO?
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Re: Why is public record driving score so low?

Got one of them too. Once it drops off you'll be golden. Look at it this way. Credit scoring is a lot like the male role in a marriage. Do all the right things and if you're lucky you get a peck on the cheek and a pat on the head. Screw up and you get a letter from a lawyer. Smiley Happy
Message 2 of 4
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

In a very clean report one major baddie can be big - see my old thread about the effect of a 6.75 year old collection on FICO scores!  Smiley Happy
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 3 of 4
PRILEY
Regular Contributor

I know the feeling. I have one thats paid and won't come off till 3-12  everything else is good. Seems unfair since I'm a C Corp
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.