Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why joining CU hurt your FICO score?

tag
w20031424
Frequent Contributor

Why joining CU hurt your FICO score?

Often enough, when you join a CU or try to rent a room, they will do a credit check, thus leaving a HP that hurts your credit score. 

What's the rationale of this? In these circumstances, people are not asking for a loan, why will it hurt your credit score?

Thanks. 

Fide Amex 15K | Barclays Reward 3.5K | Citi Forward Student 5K | Discover IT 12.8K | US Cash Reward 6K | GE Paypal 5.5K | Wal Discover 6K | CapOne 3.5K | Kohl's 0.3K
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
ezdoesit
Valued Contributor

Re: Why joining CU hurt your FICO score?

@w20031424 wrote:

Often enough, when you join a CU or try to rent a room, they will do a credit check, thus leaving a HP that hurts your credit score. 

What's the rationale of this? In these circumstances, people are not asking for a loan, why will it hurt your credit score?

Thanks. 

Well if you rent a room they are giving a form of a loan.  They give you space for a month in hopes that they will be paid at the end of the month.  Also I think CU do it more to verify identity IMO.

Message 2 of 3
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

Re: Why joining CU hurt your FICO score?

@ezdoesit wrote:

Well if you rent a room they are giving a form of a loan.  They give you space for a month in hopes that they will be paid at the end of the month.  Also I think CU do it more to verify identity IMO.

I can see why an HP for a rental or cell service or whatever because they are in essence extending credit. But why not an SP for a CU?

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.