Frequent Contributor
w20031424

Why joining CU hurt your FICO score?

Often enough, when you join a CU or try to rent a room, they will do a credit check, thus leaving a HP that hurts your credit score. 

What's the rationale of this? In these circumstances, people are not asking for a loan, why will it hurt your credit score?

Thanks. 

Fide Amex 15K | Barclays Reward 3.5K | Citi Forward Student 5K | Discover IT 12.8K | US Cash Reward 6K | GE Paypal 5.5K | Wal Discover 6K | CapOne 3.5K | Kohl's 0.3K
Established Contributor
ezdoesit

Re: Why joining CU hurt your FICO score?

w20031424 wrote:

Often enough, when you join a CU or try to rent a room, they will do a credit check, thus leaving a HP that hurts your credit score. 

What's the rationale of this? In these circumstances, people are not asking for a loan, why will it hurt your credit score?

Thanks. 

Well if you rent a room they are giving a form of a loan.  They give you space for a month in hopes that they will be paid at the end of the month.  Also I think CU do it more to verify identity IMO.

Valued Contributor
Gunnar419

Re: Why joining CU hurt your FICO score?

ezdoesit wrote:

Well if you rent a room they are giving a form of a loan.  They give you space for a month in hopes that they will be paid at the end of the month.  Also I think CU do it more to verify identity IMO.

I can see why an HP for a rental or cell service or whatever because they are in essence extending credit. But why not an SP for a CU?

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+