Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why such a big difference????

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why such a big difference????

Hi all, I'm new here so this may have been posted before and I just haven't found it yet... but anyway, sorry if that's the case.

I just got 2 of my three FICO scores... I got my TransUnion one and my Experian. Now, I am new to the world of credit repair and this is literally my first step at even getting started... but, judging by these two scores, I have horrible credit. I'm 27 and have made some really dumb financial mistakes in my adult life... and I am trying to step up to the plate and repair them now. I know it will take a lot of time and effort but I know that I can do this. Anyway, my TransUnion score is 505 and my Experian score is 606. My question is... why is there such a HUGE difference? A few months ago I did actually have some things deleted off of my credit score after I challenged them, I'm guessing that has something to do with it. Idk, it's just odd to me.

My ultimate goal is to buy a house. I hate renting and being a homeowner is my dream. Does anybody know which credit bureaus mortgage lenders look at when deciding on that stuff? I want to get a FHA loan eventually when I can save up some money.

Any advice is helpful! Thanks all! Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Why such a big difference????

Welcome to the forums!

One's score is based both on what's in the report and what version is being used.  In this instance, it's not uncommon to have different things reported (or reporting differently) to the 3 major bureaus: it's not a single data set, and it's nowhere close to consistent between the big 3 (Experian, Equifax, Transunion).  Without knowing what's in the individual reports there's not much we can do in terms of analysis.

What I would suggest is look over your reports, take note of any derogatory information on them, and then ask over in the Rebuilding Your Credit forum for advice on how to tackle each individual derogatory.  You will need to see your Equifax report too at some point as some data is seperate there, can pull them (sans scores) from annualcreditreport.com

Home ownership is a laudable goal in my estimation, and they will use the reports from all three bureaus: be aware that the scores available here for purchase aren't likely the ones you will see on your mortgage application... that's not a problem now (as you have some cleanup to do), but it may make a difference when it comes time to pull the trigger so mentioning it now.  Another step in the process before pulling the trigger will be to sanity check a commonly used mortgage score vis a vis the Equifax Score Power product.

        
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.