cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why such a difference in average age of accounts?

tag
lolabelle
Regular Contributor

Why such a difference in average age of accounts?

Just for kicks, I set up a CreditKarma account.  I'm sort of ignoring my score there, but the weird thing is that it has my AAoA as 3 years, 1 month, which is over 3.5 years less than I've seen reported anywhere else (including here).  It also says my oldest account is ~7 years when, others report it as 17 years.  Weird.  Does anyone know why this would be?

Starting Score: 732 (EQ)
Current Score: EQ 08 - 837! Whoo!! (5/14/14);EQ 04 - 795! (5/15/14) 748 (TU - 5/21/12); 760 (EX - 4/16/12 AMEX pull)
Original Goal Score: 760+ EQ --> decimated!
New Goal Score: Just keep swimming...

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

Re: Why such a difference in average age of accounts?

Credit Karma uses your Trans Union report exclusively.  Is there an acct that is on your Equifax or Experian that does not report to TU?  That could be the difference.  Not all cards & loans report to all 3.  Most do, but you will find some that do not.

BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 2 of 5
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

@lolabelle wrote:

Just for kicks, I set up a CreditKarma account.  I'm sort of ignoring my score there, but the weird thing is that it has my AAoA as 3 years, 1 month, which is over 3.5 years less than I've seen reported anywhere else (including here).  It also says my oldest account is ~7 years when, others report it as 17 years.  Weird.  Does anyone know why this would be?

Credit Karma doesn't count closed accounts in its AAoA calculations. That could be part of it. It should still be seeing the age of your oldest account correctly, though, as long as TU has the correct info and as long as the account is still open.

CK has been a little glitchy lately as it transitions to a new site design and weekly, rather than daily, updates. This wouldn't be the first oddball thing people have reported from CK in the last few weeks.

Message 3 of 5
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

@Gunnar419 wrote:
Credit Karma doesn't count closed accounts in its AAoA calculations. That could be part of it.

That is what I found

The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 4 of 5
L0RDAVENTAD0R
Frequent Contributor

@BungalowMo wrote:

Credit Karma uses your Trans Union report exclusively.  Is there an acct that is on your Equifax or Experian that does not report to TU?  That could be the difference.  Not all cards & loans report to all 3.  Most do, but you will find some that do not.

What this guy said.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.