cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why such a large range between scores?!?

tag
jwright343
New Contributor

Why such a large range between scores?!?

I'm sure there are 100s of replys to the question I ask, but I'm wanting 2017 answer and explanations.  I have AmEx, Discover and CapOne cards and check the 3 credit sites (CK, credit.com, creditsesame) every Monday.  I was ecstatic to find finally see that I broke that 800!!!  But, I just bout my 3 FICO scores from this website and was disappointed to see the HUGE difference in scores.  TU 815, EX 788 EQ 768.  This is a 47 point difference!  And we all know that every point counts in monvey saved and the best rates.  I'm also under the impression, please inform me if I'm wrong, that no matter what scoring model is used or for what (auto, home, CC), that they throw out the highest and lowest scores and use the middle one?!?  That being said, 788 would be my score.  While that is most definitely a great score, it's not 800.  I plan on going thru my 3 reports side by side to see if I can find any differences, but I don't believe there are any.  My BK came off my reports a year and a half ago.  Other than that, there shouldn't be any changes as far as I know.  Thanks for any answers/explanations and letting me know what, if anything I can do. 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Why such a large range between scores?!?

The scores that you've been getting from the monitoring sites are VantageScore 3.0 scores, they are not FICO scores.  The scores you got from myFICO are FICO scores.  If you are looking for FICO scores, the scores you are getting from those other sites are aboslutely meaningless.

That said, the ones you are getting from myFICO are the ones you really want to follow and/or work on.  If I were you I'd be most curious as to why your TU and EQ scores are 47 points apart.  There's definitely something on your EQ report (something negative) that isn't on the TU report.  Maybe a very old non-major late payment or something?  If that item shouldn't be there, you should dispute it and get it removed.  Since all of your scores are different, I'd imagine that your credit reports aren't consistent so looking into each account on them to look for differences would be the way to go now.  You CAN use those other monitoring services like CK for that; they are useful for looking at account data just not for their scores.

Message 2 of 8
Regular Contributor

Mortgage lenders will typically pull all three scores and base your loan on the middle score. The best mortgage rates are offered at scores of about 740 and above so an 815 score won't get a better than a 788.

The vast majority of lenders for other types of credit will pull only one score from the bureau of their choice. If you apply for three different CCs, the three companies may pull a score from a different bureau (you can google lists of CC companies and the bureau they pull from). In unusual situations, a CC may pull all three bureaus, CapOne for example, but that's by far the exception to the rule.

Given the info provided, responders here can only speculate as to why your scores are different. You Really need to review your reports to see how the three CRBs report your data differently. For example, my TU score always lags EQ and EX because they report my OA as 15 years while EQ and EX report it as 28 years (along with differences in AAOA). Two CRBs report a late payment for me 6.2 years ago while the third doesn't report any late payments. There are likely differences in your reports that explain your point differential.
Fico 8 Scores
7/2020: EQ - 842; TU - 832; EX - 848
10/2017: EQ - 823; TU - 835; EX - 824
05/2016: EQ - 712; TU - 706; EX - 710
11/2015: EQ - 694; TU - 651; EX - 653
5/2015: EQ - 670
5/2014: EQ - 653
11/2013: EQ - 645
05/2013: EQ - 656
11/2012: EQ - 646

Eight CCs ($179,500 CL, 0%-1% UTIL)
AoOA = 18.6 years, AAoA = 60 mos., AoYA = 18 mos.
One mortgage, one HELOC, no car loans.
Derogs from 2009 and 2010 now gone after 7 years. I started paying attention to credit scores in about 2014. It's taken a few years but credit scores are now good after starting in the high 500s back in 2011

Message 3 of 8
jwright343
New Contributor

Thanks for the replies friends.  I have been reviewing the 3 reports since I posted this message an hour ago.  I believe I've found the culprits.  EQ and EX are both reporting a 30 day late, which was 62 months ago.  TU doesn't refect that.  Also, I see that TU and EX show 11 accounts reporting in use, while EQ only shows 4?!?  I assume that those 7 missing are student loans.  Does EQ not get student loans reported to them?  My utilization ratio is around 1%.  This forum taught me lots and I used it wisely.  My AAoA is 142 across the board.  So, with just this quick research, I'm guessing those 30 day lates are what's causing that big difference.  I'm guessing those were w/ CapOne.  Is there a way to GW those off my reports.  The info for the mortgage scores is good to know.  I always thought that every point counted.  Not score 'blocks' for the best rates.  So I guess I'm sitting pretty for the most part. 

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nice job finding the difference on your reports!

The presence of that late payment could certainly be the difference here.  The question now is this:  Is that late payment which is visible on EQ and EX accurate, or is it inaccurate and should read the way TU reads on that account?  Or did you just "luck out" on TU, and that negative item should really be there?  If it's a legit late payment, you can attempt a GW adjustment through them but in doing so you run the risk of "poking the sleeping bear" and upon review of your account they potentially could report it to TU as well when they see it's not there.  On the flipside, with 5 years of positive payment history since then they very well may be receptive to simply removing that late payment since it wasn't a very major one.  The good news is that in 2 years or so that late will be gone from EQ and EX anyway.

I'm not sure how to answer the student loans question as I've never had any.  If EQ isn't showing your student loans, it could be because they werent reported to them or it could be that they were but EQ just messed up and didn't update the reported information. 

Message 5 of 8
jwright343
New Contributor

Agreed on the poking the bear mentality.  However, since there are over 5 years of positive, no lates, payments history, if I'm just looking to gain points is it worth it?  I know that after a certain amount of time, lates aren't weighed so heavily.  They so this but clearly they do, just look at the scores difference.  I have a very good relationship thru CapOne as I have 2 CC and a 25000 CL and a Jeep payment as well.  I've actually done the EO route about 6 years ago w/ great results.  It DOES work, I just don't know if it's worth it for just a couple of points.  If my lowest score is 768, and per the other poster, the best rates are anyone above 740, is it worth all the legwork.....

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I terms of ability to achieve additional credit and at the best rates, it probably doesn't matter much (meaing your score).

However, you have to keep in mind that underwriting upon a manual review will be able to see this "negative" account.  Since it's 5 years old and not a major late, I don't think it would matter much but it's important to know that it still can be seen.  Furthermore, it's always nice to have that extra "wiggle room" built into your score.  Someone with a 770 (average) score that has some major life event happen that causes them to max out their credit for example may drop their scores to 730 or so, where if their average score was 800 perhaps they'd still be at that 760+.  Just an example here, you get the point. 

If I were you based on your positive relationship with the creditor, I'd go after that GW adjustment.  Based on the differences in your scores, it's a fairly solid guess that your late payment is holding back your scores.  While the late payment in and of itself may not be impacting scores that much, it could be putting you in a different bucket which of course can result in lower scores.  Removing that final negative could rebucket you and allow your score to increase on that bureau.

Message 7 of 8
bettercreditguy1
Established Contributor

By watching CK, Credit.com, etc. you can see the trending of your credit scores. This is useful for improving and inspecting. However The Vantage Scoring formula  moves erratically whenever credit card balances move either way. They drop excessively when going from 1 to 3 percent of available limits ( I can attest to that). Just be aware this is the model. As stated earlier, Fico Scores or A Custom Fico Score is what is used for most major loans. I can assure you when I received my mortage, we got the best rate available even though I had several lates on one cc. The Loan Company noted they were from one time period 4 plus years earlier. They told me it would not effect my app. My Fico Scores were around 740 at that time. Again as stated earlier, above 760 is icing on the cake. Don't sweat it.  

Updated scores 3/7/21 TU 849, EQ 829, Ex 818 (all Fico scores) Remember the Three P's: Pay early in Full, Pay on Time, Patience
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.