Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why your lender is not using FICO 08

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why your lender is not using FICO 08

I just found out from my lender why most lenders are not migrating to FICO 08.

Freddie MAC and Fannie MAY systems are set up to use FICO 04 and do not have plans to change any time soon - this is the government after all and we all know how long it takes for any government changes to occur!

Most mortgage lenders have to route through the freddie and fannie especially if you are doing a FHA, VA or other similar type of mortgage.

Hope this helps

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Why your lender is not using FICO 08

For my reference FICO '04 treats me better.
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not sure if 08 or 04 would treat me better.  Hubby got pre approved for VA loan but we want to use my salary to get a higher pre approval so lender told me to do some things to pop my TU score up a bit - currently 613 and need to go to at least 620.  He is going to re run my report mid October so will see what happens.

I was going to get my new scores here but I think there are too many differences between 04 and 08 so probably not worth paying $ here for 08 scores ;-(

Message 3 of 8
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Not sure if 08 or 04 would treat me better.  Hubby got pre approved for VA loan but we want to use my salary to get a higher pre approval so lender told me to do some things to pop my TU score up a bit - currently 613 and need to go to at least 620.  He is going to re run my report mid October so will see what happens.

I was going to get my new scores here but I think there are too many differences between 04 and 08 so probably not worth paying $ here for 08 scores ;-(

Until the GSE's change their underwriting guidelines to the newer models, we're stuck with EQ 04, TU 04, EX 98 for the conceivable future in the mortgage market: short of the GSE's being regulated out of existence (which doesn't seem likely even if it might make sense) I'm not holding my breath for any sort of change in that regard.

For everything else, FICO 8 is the dominant pull by the major lenders anecdotally, though of course Auto lending is it's own bailiwick.

        
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here is the million dollar question- how close do fico04 and fico08 run.

At the end of August my lender ran the tri merge scores and used fico04. Experian was the lowest at 605  and he told me to do some stuff to increase score so I did.

I got 2 collections deleted and lowered utilization- fico08 now has my new score at  665 and Equifax was fico04 639 and now with the changes fico08 has 659- both are big jumps!

so how close do you think  fico04 will be , I want to ask lender to run again but still hesitant and wonder if I should wait another couple weeks?

Any thoughts?

Message 5 of 8
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Here is the million dollar question- how close do fico04 and fico08 run.

At the end of August my lender ran the tri merge scores and used fico04. Experian was the lowest at 605  and he told me to do some stuff to increase score so I did.

I got 2 collections deleted and lowered utilization- fico08 now has my new score at  665 and Equifax was fico04 639 and now with the changes fico08 has 659- both are big jumps!

so how close do you think  fico04 will be , I want to ask lender to run again but still hesitant and wonder if I should wait another couple weeks?

Any thoughts?

No way to say unfortunately as it's not 1:1 for any two individuals, but both actions (assuming you didn't pay all of the credit card debt down to $0) should be a positive regardless of algorithm selected, but does depend by how much (how the revolving balances are reporting now vs. before), and what is still left on your report in terms of derogatories.

If there are derogs which are still in process of coming off, or you can further tweak your utilization, I'd do that before asking the lender to repull, but certainly sounds like you're making good progress!

        
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did not pay balances down to O as I know that actually hurts the utilization.  One derogatory waiting to come off TU - TU is playing "hard to get"

I sent them letter from JDB saying they are deleting from all 3 CBs and Ex and EQ took off right away.  TU claims they have not heard from JDB, however, JDB swears they notified TU, ironically in this case I believe JDB since the 2 CBs took off right away and I have something in writing from then which I sent TU- TU keeps saying they may take it off and in the meantime they will not update my report with anything until this resolved and various creditors reported updated balances to TU which has not updated them. TU has me stuck at the moment!

Message 7 of 8
Imhotrodcrazy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

- this is the government after all and we all know how long it takes for any government changes to occur!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

God help us. 
FICO 08
TU 842 12/8/18
EX 840 12/29/18
EQ 842 12/8/18
(NASA 30K) ( Amex 44k ) ( Freedom 10.6K ) ( US Bank Cash+ 20k, LOC 15k ) Winners never quit, and quitters never win
last app 2/15
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.