Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wife and I are splitting up and she will be taking me off 3 or her cards as AU

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wife and I are splitting up and she will be taking me off 3 or her cards as AU

She is taken me off of her Cap one 15k limit, Belks, and Macys card. I still have an Amx Green in my name , Wells Fargo Visa 7500 my name, and  a new truck I have to get to get primary on and have her taken off. How bad will my credit suffer you think? I am an 840 Eq, 736 Exp 725 Transunion. Also would you open up any new lines of credit to try and offset this in my name only? Thanks

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Wife and I are splitting up and she will be taking me off 3 or her cards as AU

There's no way for us to know, because we don't know what your CC utilization was last month (including all the AUs) vs. now (without the AUs).  You should be able to figure that out, if you know the balances of all those cards and their credit limits.

Depending on whether her cards had a lot of debt on them or very little, it could make your new utilization go way up or way down.

Your signature shows that you have these cards:

AMX Green (25k)

Wells Fargo Visa (7500)

GM Card (15k)

AMX Business Gold Card (65K)
Wells Fargo Business Card (15K)

Is the GM card a business card?  (Thus the last three do not count toward your own personal credit score?)

As a long term goal, you should want 4-5 cards of your own, but that's not urgent right this second.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Wife and I are splitting up and she will be taking me off 3 or her cards as AU

Credit UTI on Experian was 2% on Equifax and Transunion 13%, The balances per month are carried forward on her 3 charge cards and the GM card is in her name and she carries a balance. I have a Wells and AMX business only cards the rest are mine/ My personal cards are paid in full every month

@Anonymous wrote:

There's no way for us to know, because we don't know what your CC utilization was last month (including all the AUs) vs. now (without the AUs).  You should be able to figure that out, if you know the balances of all those cards and their credit limits.

Depending on whether her cards had a lot of debt on them or very little, it could make your new utilization go way up or way down.

Your signature shows that you have these cards:

AMX Green (25k)

Wells Fargo Visa (7500)

GM Card (15k)

AMX Business Gold Card (65K)
Wells Fargo Business Card (15K)

Is the GM card a business card?  (Thus the last three do not count toward your own personal credit score?)

As a long term goal, you should want 4-5 cards of your own, but that's not urgent right this second.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Since you pay all your cards in full, you should be fine (in terms of the scoring impact of losing the AUs).  If you are really curious about how high your score can be (now that you have no AUs) you can pay off all your cards to zero except one.  Make sure the zero cards continue to report as zero and make sure the remaining card has a small but positive balance (so that your total utilization is 1-4%).  You don't have to  do that for more than a couple months -- it's just so you can see how high your scores can get with your card balances in optimal shape.

At this point you are not really in any different place that anyone else who is working on their credit profile.  You have a few credit cards, you have an open auto loan, and you pay your cards in full.  All great stuff.  Basic steps are to make sure:

That you have learned about how FICO scores work (categories, factors in each category)

That you are regularly pulling your credit reports (Karma will give you EQ and TU for free once a week)

That you full understand everything in your reports

That you have identified any "negative" data in your reports (lates, chargeoffs, collections, etc.)

and that you have identified any credit needs for the next three years (buying a car, buying a house, etc.).

If there's a need for a big loan coming up soon, then don't add any new cards.  If not, do a lot of research to find two more major cards you could qualify for and which you really like.  Tend to prefer no annual fee cards.  Assuming you do get two more cards, wait for seven months to see how your scores are doing and, if you are certain again that you have no loans coming up and your scores are doing well, and two more (same process).  All you need to drive your score into the 830s is 3-4 cards. (though of course it takes years to do it)  More cards beyond 4 won't help you do that, though many people like a couple more for other reasons.  There is no right answer there.

Very sorry to hear of your divorce.  The song is true, in my experience: breaking up is very hard to do.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Since you pay all your cards in full, you should be fine (in terms of the scoring impact of losing the AUs).  If you are really curious about how high your score can be (now that you have no AUs) you can pay off all your cards to zero except one.  Make sure the zero cards continue to report as zero and make sure the remaining card has a small but positive balance (so that your total utilization is 1-4%).  You don't have to  do that for more than a couple months -- it's just so you can see how high your scores can get with your card balances in optimal shape.

At this point you are not really in any different place that anyone else who is working on their credit profile.  You have a few credit cards, you have an open auto loan, and you pay your cards in full.  All great stuff.  Basic steps are to make sure:

That you have learned about how FICO scores work (categories, factors in each category)

That you are regularly pulling your credit reports (Karma will give you EQ and TU for free once a week)

That you full understand everything in your reports

That you have identified any "negative" data in your reports (lates, chargeoffs, collections, etc.)

and that you have identified any credit needs for the next three years (buying a car, buying a house, etc.).

If there's a need for a big loan coming up soon, then don't add any new cards.  If not, do a lot of research to find two more major cards you could qualify for and which you really like.  Tend to prefer no annual fee cards.  Assuming you do get two more cards, wait for seven months to see how your scores are doing and, if you are certain again that you have no loans coming up and your scores are doing well, and two more (same process).  All you need to drive your score into the 830s is 3-4 cards. (though of course it takes years to do it)  More cards beyond 4 won't help you do that, though many people like a couple more for other reasons.  There is no right answer there.

Very sorry to hear of your divorce.  The song is true, in my experience: breaking up is very hard to do.

Thank you for your assistance. 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.