Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will I ever get to 700?

tag
Little_Lulu
Contributor

Will I ever get to 700?

I'm upset because two "Defaulted" student loans just reported to the credit bureaus. The thing is they were never defaulted, I was paying them without fail. This has been really annoying but I just wrote an ombudsman after not getting anywhere with the US Dept of Education or Fed Loans. Hopefully I'll be able to remove the defaulted loans but idk. This is my credit profile -

8 student loans in good standing (6 from 2008 (2 still open, 4 closed), 2 from 2013)

2 defaulted Cat Mad student loans from 2013.  --- Hopefully someone will eventually help me at the US Dept of Education or maybe I can at least rehab these (Even tho I never missed a payment!)

3 cap 1 accounts from March 2014, all in good standing (2 are just authorized user accounts...I was thinking about removing myself to raise my AAOA? I added myself to these accounts when I didn't have any credit cards)

Sportsman's Guide (I think I got this in april of this year)

VS & Express (April this year, I believe)

Discover it (April this year).

A 6 year old collection (That's also not mine!!! I was looking forward to this falling off but now I have these 2 defaulted student loans messing with my score).

I was waiting until hopefully November to apply for a Chase card but now I don't know if it's going to happen. My transunion score right now is only 616 (the defaulted loans haven't even reported to Transunion yet!). I have $6,000 available credit and using about $1,200 of it because of Discover's promotion (I don't have to pay until Oct).

So does anyone have any guesses if I'll ever make it to 700 or if Chase will accept me in November if I bring my utilization down to 2% on one card? I'm really upset because I've been working hard and want more prime cards. Hopefully I can get those two "defaulted" loans off but it's been like pulling teeth. Do people with 700 scores have collections or defaulted loans?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
MT936
Established Contributor

Re: Will I ever get to 700?

You might have to wait until those bad marks drop off your report to hit 700 but to answer your question about being approved for the card, many peple get approved for it in the upper 600s so I don't think it would be an approval right now

Amex Blue Cash Everyday: $25,000 | Navy FCU Cash Rewards: $25,000 | Discover It: $20,500
Chase Freedom: $12,500 | Citi Double Cash: $10,000 | Bank of America Cash Rewards: $8,000

Message 2 of 7
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

Good luck with the defaulted loans, if they are indeed a mistake it's a pain in the arse getting them removed..

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 3 of 7
jamie123
Valued Contributor

If you want higher scores you need to quit apping for new credit for a while. In my opinion I would garden what you have until April of next year when your Discover card will be 1 year old before apping for the Chase card. Chase likes to see at least 1 year's good credit behavior managing at least 2 CCs. You won't have that by November.

Starting Score: EQ 653 6/21/12
Current Score: EQ 817 3/10/20 - EX 820 3/13/20 - TU 825 3/03/20
Message 4 of 7
Little_Lulu
Contributor

The ombudsman called me and left me a voicemail saying she doesn't think she can help me. Smiley Indifferent

But good news, Experian deleted both accounts. I just hope it doesn't reappear next month. Now I'm waiting to see what Equifax does and hoping it doesn't pop up on Transunion.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good luck!

Message 6 of 7
irrational
Frequent Contributor

@Little_Lulu wrote:

The ombudsman called me and left me a voicemail saying she doesn't think she can help me. Smiley Indifferent

But good news, Experian deleted both accounts. I just hope it doesn't reappear next month. Now I'm waiting to see what Equifax does and hoping it doesn't pop up on Transunion.

From my my experiances, the ombudsmen are worthless. Honestly when you get down to it, any arbiter that is payrolled by one of the parties, surely cannot be unbiased.

Are you still paying on them? These derags won't go away, they'll reappear. The only sure fire solution to this problem is to rehab them.

been there, done that, good luck. Your FICO score will be the least of your worries with a defaulted government backed loan reporting... Things like FHA loans cannot be had until they're cleared up.

Current Score: TU (discover) 720 - 6/29/14 | EQ (score watch) 777 - 7/19/14 - Last App 7/21/14

NPSL          |      $27,600         |      $15,000      |      $7,000      |     $2,800     |      $11,000    |      $13,530      |      $5,200
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.