Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will a dispute lower your FICO?

tag
perrtrol
New Visitor

Will a dispute lower your FICO?

On 5/5/13 I got an update that my score had went up due to a creditor correcting a reporting problem, then today 5/7/13 it plummeted 15 points! The items listed as factors were six disputes sent to Equifax. No other balance adjustments, etc. Do dispute activities reduce your FICO???????

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Will a dispute lower your FICO?

It can....were any of these CCs?

Is the disputes still ongoing? Did any of the disputes finish and update on your ScoreWatch subscription?

Message 2 of 4
ecalmese
Regular Contributor

@llecs wrote:

Is the disputes still ongoing? Did any of the disputes finish and update on your ScoreWatch subscription?

i dont mean to take over this board...

but after 30-45 days once the disputes have been finalized will scores go back up?

Started January 2013 in the lower 500s
Scores (as of January 2014) Equifax 630 | Experian 646 | Transunion 674
With the help of you all; I am working my way to the 700 club!
Message 3 of 4
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@ecalmese wrote:

@llecs wrote:

i dont mean to take over this board...

but after 30-45 days once the disputes have been finalized will scores go back up?

Assuming the comment goes away, a FICO score can go back up, stay the same, or decline further. It depends on what is changing.

For example, let's say you dispute a CC, or even a CC CO that has a util that helped you. A dispute could drop your FICO in an example like this because util is removed and your outside util increases thereby causing a drop in score. Once verified with no changes then the CC is once again factored into util and your FICO can go back to where it was before.

Using the same example of a CO CC, let's say you initiate the dispute and the FICO drops. It gets verified but the comment remains as often it happens. In that case even if the 30-45 days for the dispute ends and it gets verified, and the comment remains, then your FICO wouldn't change.

Finally using the same example of a CO CC, the dispute gets verified and the comment goes away but the balance increases hurting util and your FICO drops. Or the creditor adds lates when there were none before (happens often) and that'll drop your score even further. Or maybe it gets verified but the reported date updates and drops your FICO even further.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.