Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will another CC help my score?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Will another CC help my score?

Hey all, 

My goal is to buy a house by the end of the year and for that I would ideally have a 680 FICO score. My current credit situation is as follows:

Auto Loan - 2 payments left (June and July) for payoff. 

Capital One CC - Open since Jan 2015.

First Premier CC fro 2009 - Charged Off for $312

Commonwealth Financial Systems (collections) - $949 (On Experian)

NORTHEAST CREDIT & COLLECT - $949 (On Equifax )

Current scores are as folows:

TransUnion - 638

Equifax - 638

Experian - 595

How can I reach my goal of 680? Should I open more credit cards? Should I get another loan since my installment payment for car loan is due to be done in July? Help!?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
hizzaah
Frequent Contributor

Re: Will another CC help my score?

Tricky.. You don't really want new inquiries when coming up on a home loan application. Have you tried to get rif of those collections? That's what you should first try to do. Try for a Pay For Delete letter with them. A list of good threads can be found here: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/Frequently-Requested-Threads/td-p/10675 

What's the limit on your Capital One? High utilization? Perhaps a shopping cart card or two might be in order so you increase your available credit without adding inquiries, but you don't want to add too many.

QuickSilver - $20,000 | Amex ED $12,000 | Commence $5,000 | IT $2,200 | Freedom $2,000
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I haven´t tried PFD letters yet, I will definitely go through the link you sent and try that route for sure. My Capital One limit is $500 and I hdont surpass 30% utilization rate, I actually keep a little lower than that. What do you mean shoping cart card? As in a store card? 

Message 3 of 13
hizzaah
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I haven´t tried PFD letters yet, I will definitely go through the link you sent and try that route for sure. My Capital One limit is $500 and I hdont surpass 30% utilization rate, I actually keep a little lower than that. What do you mean shoping cart card? As in a store card? 

Yes, store cards. You don't necessarily have to use them, but they can help while you're rebuilding. Victoria's Secret seems to be a easy on for people to get to pop up. There are lots of places with info, but this link has a list of stores and user experiences. Make sure you do your homework to avoid a hard pull!

QuickSilver - $20,000 | Amex ED $12,000 | Commence $5,000 | IT $2,200 | Freedom $2,000
Message 4 of 13
dethkultur
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey all, 

My goal is to buy a house by the end of the year and for that I would ideally have a 680 FICO score. My current credit situation is as follows:

TransUnion - 638

Equifax - 638

Experian - 595

How can I reach my goal of 680? Should I open more credit cards? Should I get another loan since my installment payment for car loan is due to be done in July? Help!?

It's unfair, but your score might drop when your auto loan gets paid off. You should consider refinancing it if you can to give your scores all the help they can get.

You may be able to challenge First Premier off of TU today as "obsolete." They are known to remove negative items early EQ and EX are too, but not as early I don't think.) 

I'm guessing you could apply for a Cap 1 right now. Give it a shot once you do the above. The shopping cart thing too if you want. Keep your accounts paid in full. If a balance must post, make sure it isn't over 10% of the card's CL if you can.

Then do nothing, wait 6 months for your mortgage app. If you want to get a mortgage this year, you better cram everything you can into the next week or two, then be done.

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@dethkultur wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey all, 

TransUnion - 638

Equifax - 638

Experian - 595

It's unfair, but your score might drop when your auto loan gets paid off. You should consider refinancing it if you can to give your scores all the help they can get.

You may be able to challenge First Premier off of TU today as "obsolete." They are known to remove negative items early EQ and EX are too, but not as early I don't think.) Once you do that, consider freezing EX and EQ until you can get those other baddies off. Then, any mortgage puller can only pull TU. They may tell you that you need to unfreeze the others, but they may not.

I'm guessing you could apply for a Cap 1 right now. Give it a shot once you do the above. The shopping cart thing too if you want. Keep your accounts paid in full. If a balance must post, make sure it isn't over 10% of the card's CL if you can.

Then do nothing, wait 6 months for your mortgage app. If you want to get a mortgage this year, you better cram everything you can into the next week or two, then be done.

As a mortgage industry veteran and with recent experience as a senior underwriter of conforming loans for a major national lender, I can't help but provide some insight... Smiley Happy

-- I do not know of any conventional lender who will allow a bureau to be frozen and still extend credit. We certainly don't, and for exactly the reason outlined above, is that if you have "baddies" we DO want to see them. Fannie and Freddie, the major buyers of most conventional loans, use their automated systems to validate loans coming in, and those systems will not run if there is a frozen bureau. We require at least two scores to make a credit decision, and if the third score is missing, it can only be because the bureau doesn't have enough data to provide a decision, not because you've frozen the report (it will tell us which is the case).

I would recommend pursuing some of the options mentioned above regarding getting the baddies taken off, but I'm not an expert in that area so can't give you more info unfortunately.

Much of the fear of credit inquiries and mortgage lending is completely overblown-- yes, lenders will ask about your inquiries in the past 120 days (some do 180, some 90, most are 120). The sole reason for this is so that we can determine if a new tradeline has recently been opened, and if so, so that we can request balance/payment information on it and make sure it's qualified into your Debt-To-Income ratio, which generally should be 43% or less. For example, let's say you took out a car loan yesterday and we pull your credit today, your inquiry will show up but your new car loan will not. If we do not ask about this inquiry we will have no way of knowing about the new loan. Provided that your FICO score is good, mortgage lenders do not care how many new accounts you have opened, how many tradelines you have, what your revolving util is, or any of this. DTI is the #1 concern, FICO affects eligibility and pricing, and baddies might affect eligibility (but not always). 

TLDR; don't freeze your bureaus and most lenders couldn't give two hoots how many accounts you have if your FICO, payment history, and DTI are sound. Good luck!

Message 6 of 13
damnedanddetermined
Established Contributor

If the "baddies" (meaning CO) are 5+ yrs old, will they have to be dealt with before a mortgage can be approved?

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@dethkultur wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey all, 

TransUnion - 638

Equifax - 638

Experian - 595

You may be able to challenge First Premier off of TU today as "obsolete." They are known to remove negative items early EQ and EX are too, but not as early I don't think.) Once you do that, consider freezing EX and EQ until you can get those other baddies off. Then, any mortgage puller can only pull TU. They may tell you that you need to unfreeze the others, but they may not.

I'll go ahead and say it since no one else has yet.  Suggesting this is frowned upon around here.  It's against myfico TOS.  

To OP as already stated offer PFD to your collections that is the best thing you can do to get your score up at this point.  

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Damnedanddetemined: a very general rule is that prior derogatory history which is paid to zero already isn't a huge deal (but can become one once Loan to Value exceeds 80%) but any charge offs, past dues, must be paid off. Collections, unless very small in size (usually 250) or medical in nature have to be paid in full. This is an area where there is lots of variance from lender to lender, but in general a prior derog that's been paid to zero (before applying) isn't a total deal breaker.
Message 9 of 13
dethkultur
Contributor

Oops I didn't know that was frowned upon, I edited my reply.

Thanks for the info jb002. I was shooting back the Convential wisdom so to speak, you gave some real useful info though.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.