cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will applying for a BOA secured credit card raise my score?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Will applying for a BOA secured credit card raise my score?

I need to raise my score asap, I have a 560 mid. I've been paying down balances but need something to jump start my score asap. Will this help or hurt it? Thanks.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Will applying for a BOA secured credit card raise my score?

Do you have any CCs now? If so, how many and what is your utilization like?
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have 3 credit cards open with balances and they are all under 43% that is required for my mortgage loan.
Message 3 of 6
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

You can raise your score by getting that 43% util down to 1-9% overall and individual util. Further, you should only allow one card report that small balance and the other cards to report $0. I would be willing to bet that you will gain 30-40 points or more by doing this.

Based off of what you have shared, I see no reason to open a secured card.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Because we have to use most of our savings for our down payment, we can't pay down my cards for a while, but it is a goal of ours....I'm just having a hard time getting my credit card companies to report on to the credit bureaus. I paid down GEMB walmart to 50% util and they still havent reported for 30 days now, is there any way to call them and ask them to update my credit reports?
Message 5 of 6
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

CCCs usually report the balance as of the statement date. Figure that out in comparison to when you paid. It can take anywhere from 30-45 days for them to update.

Yes, you can call and ask when they update.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.