Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will auto loan increase my FICO score?

tag
bobkmn
Regular Contributor

Will auto loan increase my FICO score?

Currently the only credit sources on my FICO are credit cards. I have read that having some other types, such as an installment

loan can show diversity in credit and help increase the score. Assuming that is correct (opinions on that too, thank you) I have 

just co-signed an auto loan for my son's fiance (already did the debate as to whether I should or not) because she had just

gone through a divorce and her ex didn't do her well, so she has some repair work to do. Turns out that she got the loan at

2.9% which appears to be quite good -- guessing I had a 'hand' in that. Since I am listed as a co-buyer I assume that the

loan will appear on my credit reports. As long as she stays current on the payments, which I know she will, will the existence

of that loan help my FICO score?

Thanks!

Bob

Current scores: Experian-693 Equifax-720 TransUnion-727
Gardening since 4/7/2014 - Mouse over card for limit.
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
user5387
Valued Contributor

Re: Will auto loan increase my FICO score?

An open installment loan can help your scores, but typically the gain is not a large one.

This sort of thing fits within the FICO scoring category of "mix of credit types", which has a 10% overall weight.

Message 2 of 4
bobkmn
Regular Contributor

@user5387 wrote:

An open installment loan can help your scores, but typically the gain is not a large one.

This sort of thing fits within the FICO scoring category of "mix of credit types", which has a 10% overall weight.

Thanks!

Current scores: Experian-693 Equifax-720 TransUnion-727
Gardening since 4/7/2014 - Mouse over card for limit.
Message 3 of 4
myjourney
Super Contributor

How a FICO Score breaks down

FICO credit score chart
Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.