Established Member
mpsp

Will closing my equity line of credit lower my FICO?

I have a $30K equity line of credit that has been open for 2 years.  It renews this month for the next 12 months at a cost of $50.  Granted $50 ain't much but I have never touched the LOC neither do I plan on doing so in the next 12 months.  Question:  Will closing this hurt my FICO since I will technically have $30,000 less in available credit going forward?  Or do LOCs count differently somehow than a credit card?  Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks
Moderator Emeritus
Brammy

Re: Will closing my equity line of credit lower my FICO?

[ Edited ]

mpsp wrote:
I have a $30K equity line of credit that has been open for 2 years.  It renews this month for the next 12 months at a cost of $50.  Granted $50 ain't much but I have never touched the LOC neither do I plan on doing so in the next 12 months.  Question:  Will closing this hurt my FICO since I will technically have $30,000 less in available credit going forward?  Or do LOCs count differently somehow than a credit card?  Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks

If it is reporting as a revolving line of crdit then it depends on wht your utilization would be after.  Would you go from 1-9% to 10-30?

I'm assuming its not your oldest radeline since you had to have a house to get it:smileyvery-happy:

Message Edited by Brammy on 08-23-2007 04:51 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Timothy

hang onto it.
Established Member
mpsp

my credit util may creep up as it is being reported as a revolving account.  I'm in the process of looking for a bigger house soon, so for now, I'm hanging on to it and will cancel once the house purchase is said and done.  Thanks!

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+