cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will closing my super subprime card hurt my score?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Will closing my super subprime card hurt my score?

Just less than two years ago I opened my first card in years after screwing up my credit in 05. It was from the infamous First Premier Bank. A whopping $300 limit  after simply paying (if I remember right) a $95 initiation fee and a $75 annual fee. Then I had all that spending power at a mere 36% intrest. Fast forward two years and everything except a judgement and a tax lien have rolled off my credit report. I have decent cards and never use my FPB card anymore but am paying a $6.25 monthly maintenence fee.

I am definitely closing it before my next annual fee is due which should be next month. I have heard over and over not to close your oldest card. But many people on these forums say your AAoA factors in cards whether they are closed or not. Will I see any drop in my score once I close it? 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

Re: Will closing my super subprime card hurt my score?

You won't get a score drop due to AAofA.  This card will continue reporting for 10 years, so you will wind up with a 12 year old acount before it drops off.  

You could see a score drop if your utilization increases or the numbr of cards reporting a balance increases.  Closing accounts does not lower average age of accounts.  Opening accounts does.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Will closing my super subprime card hurt my score?

i was in the exact same situation as you, and actually yesterday called and cancelled. After being transferred around i was transferred to "Beth" who im guessing is in the retention dept who tried her darndest to keep me from closing, saying "it will hurt my credit score" "your closing your oldest account" "its only $6.25" and even went as far as saying she actually has the same card and pays the fee because her credit score is worth $6 a month....after telling her the only way i keep it open is if you remove all fees she finally closed the account....and i see today they credited my account $6.25 for the October fee (not expecting to ever get a check for that)

If you have other prime lenders there is no reason not to cancel, i made the decision after getting approved for a $8k CL on AMEX Everyday card so im not to worried about my $300 credit utilization loss from FPB

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.