jwblue

Will closing this account hurt my credit score?

I am an additional card holder to my mother's credit card. It has been open since 2000.

The credit limit is $20K.

Will it hurt or help my credit score if I have it removed from my account?

What if I want to increase the credit limit on another existing card.  Will it hurt or help or no effect?

pizzadude

Re: Will closing this account hurt my credit score?

Welcome to the forums !

I'd recommend that you take a look at this sticky thread:   http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Closing-Credit-Cards/td-p/347190

In general, closing a credit card won't hurt your FICO score unless your revolving utilization increases as a result of losing the credit limit.

What is the balance on the $20K limit card ?

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Contributor
slippy84

Re: Will closing this account hurt my credit score?

I think it also depends on the change in your AAOA. A 13-year-old account is a big deal for a lot of people. If you were removed, that account is liable to be immediately removed from your report. That's my understanding anyway...

I'm assuming that the account is in good standing with no previous issues
US Bank Cash+ -- Chase Freedom -- Citi Dividend Platinum Select (in 45-day wait period for Dividend Mastercard World Elite:smileyhappy:) -- AMEX BCE

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+