cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will increasing my CL on my B of A & Cap 1 card help my credit score?

tag
pmac2014
Valued Member

Will increasing my CL on my B of A & Cap 1 card help my credit score?

I've had my B of A secured card for 7 months now and keep the balance under $50 (CL is $500) since it's been open and My Cap 1 card CL is $1000 and keep that one below $100 since opening it in May 2014.  I was wondering if I make additional deposits on both these accounts if it will increase my credit score. I've been working on my credit for about 14 months now and have made some good progress ( all derogs paid ,all old baddies are 0 balances etc.  All open accounts are in good standing - 2 auto loans and 2 credit cards). I started at a CS of 527 and now a 641.   But now that I have taken care of all the bad stuff and am maintaining a excellent history on my current  accounts, things seem to have come to a stand still.  Credit score is climbing very slowly and would like to give it a bump.  Will increasing limits on secured cards help?  I don't want any inquiries though, any thoughts?

thanks

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Will increasing my CL on my B of A & Cap 1 card help my credit score?

I know BoA is not very good about increasing CL without hard pulls, but you may be able to get a soft pull CLI from Capital One. Short answer, yes an increase in CL should help your score. If you can go from 10% util to ~5, it should push your score up a few ticks.

Also, with 14 months of good history, you should be graduating to an unsecured card soon.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Will increasing my CL on my B of A & Cap 1 card help my credit score?

Since you're able to control your balances it wouldn't really benefit you to up the amount. You could spend more every month because your utilization won't be affected. For secured cards that unsecure, most times the amount you had as secured becomes your unsecured credit limit. So in a way there's benefit as well in doing it. 

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.