New Visitor
leafy

Will my FICO drop if I check several mortgage lenders?

I am trying to refinance my home. The first lender I checked has told not to check anywhere else or my FICO will drop. I called a credit counselor and asked if this was true. They told me that I could check as many as I liked and it would only effect my FICO as if I checked only one lender. They said this was part of the FACT act. Does anyone know the absolute truth?

I am rebuilding my credit after a bout with leukemia. Any info would help me tremendously.
Valued Contributor
TheNewWorldMan

Re: Will my FICO drop if I check several mortgage lenders?

Multiple mortgage inquiries within a certain period of time...I believe it is two weeks...are counted as a single inquiry. The mortgage lender you are working with should be aware of this. Perhaps they are afraid of the competition...
- - - -
in a credit-scoring postnuclear Stone Age...
New Contributor
boheme

That is there way to stop you from shopping around on them. All mortgage pulls in a 14 day period are considered as one inquiry. The model took into account the fact that consumers would want to shop around for the best rate. (Same is true for auto financing)
Moderator Emeritus
Tuscani

Just remember.. while FICO only dings you for one.. each inquiry still shows on your report(s) and increases your overall count.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+