Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will my score move?

tag
onfussedandneedinghelp
Valued Member

Will my score move?

I just paid down my credit cards to a 5% ult. My question is do I have to wait 24 months before my score goes up like the simulator says? My scores are tu 600 ex 550 exp 605. I am looking to refi soon and I need them to be an avg about 630 -650. Will this happen soon? Thanks
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Will my score move?

No, what the sim is trying to say is pay them down and keep them down, and if you keep this low util, within two years your score will be around (blank.) FICO really needs to hire an out-of-work English major to clean up some of its eccentricities. BTW, I don't know if you noticed it, but you can slide down a bit lower on the screen and see what it projects for 3 months, 6 months, and so forth. You have to keep dividing whatever balance it shows by that number of months to make it work.

What else is going on with your reports that your scores are that low? Unless you had really just maxed those puppies out.

Although you were asking specifically about the sim, it sounds like you might be looking at the overall scoring process, so I'm going to move this over to Understanding FICO Scoring. It should get some more looks over there. General Credit Issues would work too, but sometimes it gets overwhelmed by collections questions, so we'll try the first one. Hope that's OK --if you want it moved back, just let me or another mod know.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

The sim also has - Pay $XXX over X months-

Put in your $xxx and 1 month to get an idea

onfussedandneedinghelp wrote:
I just paid down my credit cards to a 5% ult. My question is do I have to wait 24 months before my score goes up like the simulator says? My scores are tu 600 ex 550 exp 605. I am looking to refi soon and I need them to be an avg about 630 -650. Will this happen soon? Thanks

Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

The sim also takes into account the aging of your accounts over two years. Don't be surprised when you don't see quite the change that it predicted over a 2 year span.
Message 4 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Timothy wrote:
The sim also has - Pay $XXX over X months-

Put in your $xxx and 1 month to get an idea

Agree with this 100%.  The sim has been very accurate for me regarding one month changes in utilization.
Message 5 of 17
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The FICO simulator is not a multi-category simulator or month by month tool, that takes into account all variables in all categories.  That is by their choice, for their reason of not wantting to give to provide a very detailed simulator is that it would hurt business.  Any business man would understand that corporate philosophy.  So when it tells you where  you will be in two years, that avoids having to give details about 1,2,3,6,12 months, etc. that would reveal the real model.   If their simulator was too specific, it would allow for a more detailed peek into their scoring algorithm than they are not willing to disclose, for obvious and legitimate business purposes.  They are in the business of selling scores, and not allowing others to project them on their own with any degree of specificity.  
Capitalism101.
Message 6 of 17
onfussedandneedinghelp
Valued Member

I pulled my report today and I am still waiting for some cards to up date, however my utl is down from 98 to 53% and I got a wopping 5 points. I wonder if I will get another 5 points when it updates with the rest of the cards. Total utl will be 5%. I think the "Fico simulator" needs to be worked on.

Any thoughts
Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

onfussedandneedinghelp wrote:
I pulled my report today and I am still waiting for some cards to up date, however my utl is down from 98 to 53% and I got a wopping 5 points. I wonder if I will get another 5 points when it updates with the rest of the cards. Total utl will be 5%. I think the "Fico simulator" needs to be worked on.

Any thoughts

Congratulations on paying down those balances!

I think you'll get much more than 5 points.  Going from 98% to 53% is OK, but going from 53% to 5% will be MUCH better.  5% will put you right in the "sweet spot."

What does the simulator say?

Message 8 of 17
onfussedandneedinghelp
Valued Member

It says I will get about 50 points once it hits 5%
Message 9 of 17
onfussedandneedinghelp
Valued Member

My score is 605 right now and the simulator says that if i pay down my balances to 5% my score could go up to 645-685...
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.