cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will paying my loan off better my score?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Will paying my loan off better my score?

Hi all, seeking some advice. I have a Fico score of 777, 24 years old, perfect payment history on credit cards for the past 5 years.

I had a $15,500 loan taken out when I bought my motorcycle just under 2 years ago, it was a 6 year loan but I have payed it off very fast, I owe $5,000 on it. My question is to better my credit what is the best thing to do with this remmaining $5,000 of the loan? I could pay it off if need be, or should I start making lower payments to stretch out the payments to continue my good history?

Also FYI this is the only "debt" in my name besides the 2 monthly credit cards I pay off in full at the end of each month. This will most likely be the last of my "debt" besides credit cards for the next for years until I buy a house.

Thanks ahead for any help! Happy New Year!

17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Will paying my loan off better my score?

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi all, seeking some advice. I have a Fico score of 777, 24 years old, perfect payment history on credit cards for the past 5 years.

I had a $15,500 loan taken out when I bought my motorcycle just under 2 years ago, it was a 6 year loan but I have payed it off very fast, I owe $5,000 on it. My question is to better my credit what is the best thing to do with this remmaining $5,000 of the loan? I could pay it off if need be, or should I start making lower payments to stretch out the payments to continue my good history?

Also FYI this is the only "debt" in my name besides the 2 monthly credit cards I pay off in full at the end of each month. This will most likely be the last of my "debt" besides credit cards for the next for years until I buy a house.

Hi JG69,

Scores always drop once an installment loan is paid in full.  There is nothing we can do to stop that drop.  At this point in time, it sounds like you have 1 installment loan credit line, and 2 revolving credit lines in your credit cards.  To perhaps save money in interest, I would probably pay off the motorocyle loan as quickly as possible, and then setup what CreditGuyInDixie discusses here on mnyFICO- which is adding an installment loan "the share secure technique".  Check the myFICO link below as it is explained in great detail of how to do that.

Installement Loan - Share Secure Technique

Then you would extend out the length of time and save more with that installment loan than probably what you would be extending out the amount of time paying back your motorcycle installment loan.

Also, you might want to look into obtaining another credit card.  Many have reported that having 3 to 4 credit cards and only allowing one to report a balance, has helped improve their scores as well.  From my personal experience it has did the same for me.  BUT, every now and then I get dinged for allowing more than one to report.  I see a boost in my scores whenever I allow a card that I have not used in months to report.  FICO grants me a few points and tells me that an inactive card has reported a balance.

All in all though, there are so many philosophies and concepts learned here, and at least for me I am still learning EVERYDAY, that you have certainly come to the right place to gain insights.  Others will chime in as well in reply to your post too.

- Just giving you my two cents ;-) 

Message 2 of 18
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

1. From a pure FICO score perspective the best thing would be to pay it down to $1300, and then pay small amounts for the next 4 years.

2. But wouldn't it be nice to get the clean title? An alternative strategy which would let you pay off the motorcycle loan off without losing FICO points would be the following:

Join Alliant Credit Union, take out a $500+ savings account, take out a $500 share secured loan secured by the savings account with a 48 or 60 month term, decline or cancel autopay, transfer $455 from the savings account towards the loan balance bringing the balance down to $45.

Then pay off the motorcycle loan.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 3 of 18
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I suspect age of auto loan could be a consideration in points gained associated with a reduction in balance to loan ratio. The general belief is an open installment loan at a low B/L ratio is worth 30 or 35 points on Fico 08. The threshold for points maximization (excluding mortgage loans) on aggregated open loans is under 9% remaining. It is a widely held belief that the "vast majority" of points are only awarded once your B/L drops below 9%.

SJ saw this with his auto loan testing at various B/L ratios. However, his auto loan was less than a year old when he did the incremental paydowns.As I recall, he reported gaining around 30 points with a paydown from over 30% B/L to under 9% B/L. Given your loan is over 12 months old, I suspect your score has been positively impacted by loan age alone leaving fewer points of benefit remaining for pay down under 9%.

If you are up for it, pay down your loan to $1300 and report back on impact on your Fico score. This should maximize your score relative to benefit of an open installment loan. My guess is your score may rise by 15 points instead of 30 points because some benefit has already been realized by aging.

After the pay down you could potentially maintain the auto loan as open with reduced payments or pay it off and get a token SSL.

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello JG69!  Just for clarity, both of the previous posters are suggesting the same thing.  They are both suggesting you consider executing the Share Secure Loan Technique and then (after that) pay off the the loan.  The link you were given explains the details and more importantly will explain the theory behind why it works.  You just need to read the first 2-3 posts in that thread.

My only slight caveat would be to consider prolonging the life of the loan until at least 25 payments have been made on it.  I can't prove that would help you in any way, but I can imagine underwriters or even scoring models liking installment loans that lasted at least 25 months.

As SouthJ points out, there may be an ancillary benefit from owning the title -- not related to credit scoring.  In particular, it might be the case that while the bank owns the title, you are required to have a more expensive insurance package on the vehicle -- and after the title belongs to you, cheaper options might present themsleves (e.g. a liability only policy).

I also like the suggestion of obtaining a third credit card.

Message 5 of 18
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Thomas_Thumb wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I suspect age of auto loan could be a consideration in points gained associated with a reduction in balance to loan ratio. The general belief is an open installment loan at a low B/L ratio is worth 30 or 35 points on Fico 08. The threshold for points maximization (excluding mortgage loans) on aggregated open loans is under 9% remaining. It is a widely held belief that the "vast majority" of points are only awarded once your B/L drops below 9%.

SJ saw this with his auto loan testing at various B/L ratios. However, his auto loan was less than a year old when he did the incremental paydowns.As I recall, he reported gaining around 30 points with a paydown from over 30% B/L to under 9% B/L. Given your loan is over 12 months old, I suspect your score has been positively impacted by loan age alone leaving fewer points of benefit remaining for pay down under 9%.

If you are up for it, pay down your loan to $1300 and report back on impact on your Fico score. This should maximize your score relative to benefit of an open installment loan. My guess is your score may rise by 15 points instead of 30 points because some benefit has already been realized by aging.

After the pay down you could potentially maintain the auto loan as open with reduced payments or pay it off and get a token SSL.

When I paid the auto loan down so that aggregate installment utilization dropped from 39 to 9% the FICO 8 point gain was as follows:

EQ +24 TU +24 EX +20

Along the way I had picked up a few other points here and there during the 6 month duration of my auto loan:

Crossing 80% (from 87.7% to 79.1%) : EQ +2 TU +2 EX +2
Crossing 70% (from 79.1% to 68.8%) : EQ +3 TU +8 EX +-0
Crossing 60% (from 68.8% to 58.4%): EQ +-0 TU +-0 EX +-0
Crossing 50% & 40% (58.4% to 39%): EQ +2 TU +-0 EX +2
Crossing 30%, 20%, & 10% (39% to 9%): EQ +24 TU +24 EX +20
Paying down from 9% to zero: EQ +-0 TU +-0 EX +-0

Message 6 of 18
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello JG69!  Just for clarity, both of the previous posters are suggesting the same thing.  They are both suggesting you consider executing the Share Secure Loan Technique and then (after that) pay off the the loan.  The link you were given explains the details and more importantly will explain the theory behind why it works.  You just need to read the first 2-3 posts in that thread.

My only slight caveat would be to consider prolonging the life of the loan until at least 25 payments have been made on it.  I can't prove that would help you in any way, but I can imagine underwriters or even scoring models liking installment loans that lasted at least 25 months.

As SouthJ points out, there may be an ancillary benefit from owning the title -- not related to credit scoring.  In particular, it might be the case that while the bank owns the title, you are required to have a more expensive insurance package on the vehicle -- and after the title belongs to you, cheaper options might present themsleves (e.g. a liability only policy).

I also like the suggestion of obtaining a third credit card.

I'm a simple man, I was just thinking it feels good to have a clean title Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 18
newhis
Valued Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

When I paid the auto loan down so that aggregate installment utilization dropped from 39 to 9% the FICO 8 point gain was as follows:

EQ +24 TU +24 EX +20

Along the way I had picked up a few other points here and there during the 6 month duration of my auto loan:

I think I read that you have other loan, I guess if this was your only loan your score should go down around 25 points, right?

Just want to make this clear.

Message 8 of 18
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@newhis wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

EQ +24 TU +24 EX +20

I think I read that you have other loan, I guess if this was your only loan your score should go down around 25 points, right?

Just want to make this clear.

Correct. This all transpired while I had my little SSL on the side. To me this proved that my $500 no-hassle, low-cost, no-indebtedness SSL was just as effective as my $12,500 auto loan. And I'm sure that without the SSL I would have gotten slammed at the end.

Message 9 of 18
newhis
Valued Contributor

Thank you SJ.

My DW has an auto loan and they say that if she pays more, then the length of the loan will be reduced.

I guess not all loans are the same. Something to keep in mind.

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.