cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will paying off the collection account help or hurt my score at this point?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Will paying off the collection account help or hurt my score at this point?

I have a medical bill that was sent to collections.  The date assigned is 06/2003.  I made a small payment on it 04/03/2004 so that is the "last payment date".   The date of first delinquency is 02/2003.  My question is if I pay this off in full (it's only $171) would this help or hurt my score??  I have tried a PFD with the doctor's office and did not receive a response.   It is being reported to the credit bureaus by the collection agency - not the doctor's office so it is only on my report once. 
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Will paying off the collection account help or hurt my score at this point?

twt11 wrote:
I have a medical bill that was sent to collections.  The date assigned is 06/2003.  I made a small payment on it 04/03/2004 so that is the "last payment date".   The date of first delinquency is 02/2003.  My question is if I pay this off in full (it's only $171) would this help or hurt my score??  I have tried a PFD with the doctor's office and did not receive a response.   It is being reported to the credit bureaus by the collection agency - not the doctor's office so it is only on my report once. 

You probably received no response because the OC most likely no longer owns the debt.

To answer your question, yes, paying off a 5-year-old CA will hurt your score, since FICO will see recent activity on a CA account.  This is why most people around here suggest paying off ancient CA accounts only if you can get them deleted.

Are you in SOL?  Have you DV'd the CA?

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Will paying off the collection account help or hurt my score at this point?

I think the SOL for Georgia is 4 years for collections.  So,  it is past that.   I'm not very familiar with the DV process.   I spoke with them over the phone regarding it but I haven't sent them anything in writing.  Should I PFD the collection agency?
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.