Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would Installment Loan Help My FICO?

tag
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

Would Installment Loan Help My FICO?

Hello all...I am stoked, since my Walmart TU FICO rose 68 points this month, from 708 to 776! Now, it says that my #1 factor affecting my score is lack of recent installment loan experience, such as a car loan. Do you all think I should take out a small personal loan from my bank (Chase) and would that end up raising my scores in the long run? I don't need a loan, so this would only be for FICO score purposes, so if you think it's not a good idea to just get a loan for this purpose, let me know. Thank you for your help.

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Would Installment Loan Help My FICO?

your score is already at 776. there's no need to raise it any higher.

you already qualify for the best rates and can easily get most of the cards out there. other factors such as income probably will play a bigger role in making any difference from that point onwards.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 8
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

IF you get a bump it might be 1-2 pts in all likely hood. Not worth the inq hit, AAOA and its not going to make an approval decision if your score is in the mid 700's.
Message 3 of 8
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

@enharu wrote:

your score is already at 776. there's no need to raise it any higher.

you already qualify for the best rates and can easily get most of the cards out there. other factors such as income probably will play a bigger role in making any difference from that point onwards.

Yes...you are quite right. I guess when you're a member on these forums you never know when to stop...lol. Thanks for bringing me down to earth!

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 4 of 8
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:
IF you get a bump it might be 1-2 pts in all likely hood. Not worth the inq hit, AAOA and its not going to make an approval decision if your score is in the mid 700's.

Also good advise like enharu's. Like I told enharu, sometimes you just get obsessed with "the numbers." Thanks for your reply.

Message 5 of 8
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 6 of 8
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

For anyone else who might read this - DON'T GET A LOAN YOU DON'T NEED! Save your money, but a nice gift for yourself, and sit on your nice 776 credit score. A car loan, mortgage, or other type of installment loan will come over time for the majority of people.

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 7 of 8
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Thanks SnackTrader! You said it exactly how I wanted to...caps and all! 😉
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.