cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would credit union use FICO Auto 2 for CC app?

tag
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Would credit union use FICO Auto 2 for CC app?

I recently got turned down by Unify (formerly Western) FCU for a credit card. The score and report they cited was Experian, but the only Experian score I had at that time that fit the score mentioned by them is the FICO Auto 2.

Would they use FICO Auto 2 to evaluate a credit card application?

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Would credit union use FICO Auto 2 for CC app?

Baxter CU told me they use FICO auto 2 for all their credit decisions.  I asked one of the underwriters why, and he didn't know-it's just what they do.

Message 2 of 22
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Baxter CU told me they use FICO auto 2 for all there credit decisions.  I asked one of the underwriters why, and he didn't know-it's just what they do.

Fascinating.

Good to know if I ever decide to try again with them.

Message 3 of 22
Gmood1
Super Contributor

I was told a few weeks ago by one of my credit unions. That they use the EX Auto scoring to evaluate all loans. She didn't know which version and assumed the Fico 8 Auto score.

Message 4 of 22
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Gmood1 wrote:

I was told a few weeks ago by one of my credit unions. That they use the EX Auto scoring to evaluate all loans. She didn't know which version and assumed the Fico 8 Auto score.

So I guess that's the answer, that credit unions may indeed use the auto enhanced scores for credit card and other applications as well as for auto loans.

In my case there's quite a wide difference between the different auto versions.

For example, on 10/12, the scores were as follows in EX:

Auto 9    800

Auto 8    774

Auto 2    730

And on 11/3, in EQ, the scores were:

Auto 9   834

Auto 8   782

Auto 5   736

and on TU:

Auto 9   805

Auto 8   796

Auto 4   764

Message 5 of 22
805orbust
Valued Contributor

OK this proves my point perfectly. All scores are FAKO. Unless you KNOW exactly what someone is pulling and when, it's all a crapshoot.  You're scores are excellent dude. Only responsible debt management can get you there. And why use the Auto2 model for a credit card? Because it more accurately predicts your behavior?  Nope, because they can charge more interest.  To a dude with excellent credit. This stuff really ticks me off.

Message 6 of 22
805orbust
Valued Contributor

They literally use the one that is the lowest!!!!!!

Message 7 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Property managers that I know have told me they choose the score that best fits the decision THEY want to make.  It makes for a convenient excuse to desriminate based upon whatever criteria they have without taking any blame or having much to explain.

Message 8 of 22
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@805orbust wrote:

OK this proves my point perfectly. All scores are FAKO. Unless you KNOW exactly what someone is pulling and when, it's all a crapshoot.  You're scores are excellent dude. Only responsible debt management can get you there. And why use the Auto2 model for a credit card? Because it more accurately predicts your behavior?  Nope, because they can charge more interest.  To a dude with excellent credit. This stuff really ticks me off.

Well I don't know if this is meaningful or not, but they didn't give the score as the reason for the denial. The reason they gave was excessive inquiries. And on that count  I'm 'guilty as charged' Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 22
805orbust
Valued Contributor

Haha, feel your pain my friend. Big time ditto on that one. 

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.