cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wow! 18 point drop for paying all to $0!

tag
jamie123
Valued Contributor

Wow! 18 point drop for paying all to $0!

I received an alert that my score dropped 18 points for paying all my CCs to zero! Paid BoA account from $17 to $0 and lost 18 points. I pulled an EQ report and yes, that is the only change. This is just a heads up to let everyone know how important it is to have 1 card report a small balance. I was shocked at how many points that I lost.

Look here:

Starting Score: EQ 653 6/21/12
Current Score: EQ 817 3/10/20 - EX 820 3/13/20 - TU 825 3/03/20
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
EW800
Valued Contributor

Re: Wow! 18 point drop for paying all to $0!

Sadly, that sounds about right from my experience.  A couple of months ago I accidentally let all accounts report $0 and lost about 12 to 18 points, depending on the credit bureau and model.  Disheartening, but thankfully typically recovers instantly when an account reports a small balance.  

Year 2012: All Scores in the 520 range, during a foreclosure, CC Settlement and high UTIL. Very ugly days...
April 2024: EX8: 839; EQ8: 845; TU8: 842 -- Middle Mortgage Score: 822
In My Wallet: Discover $73.7K; Cap1 Venture $51.7K; Amex ED $38K; Amex Optima $2.5K; Amex Delta Gold $18K; Citi Costco $24.5K; Cap1 Plat $8.4K; Barclay $7K; Chase Amazon $6K; BoA Plat $21.6K; Citi TY Pref $22K; US Bank $4K; Dell $5K; Care Credit $6.5K. Total Revolving CL: $300K+
My UTIL: Less than 1% - Only allow about $20 a month to report, on one account. .
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's within the range I would have expected based upon my reading here.

Any idea how it affected your mortgage scores?

I did the same this month for some FICO 8 testing of my own with pretty files.

I have never posted $0 utilization in any of my prior testing

3 cards with $40,750 total lines

UTIL $7 - $0

EQ 840 -> 833

TU  831 -> 825

EX  850 -> 847

I allowed a balance of $1274 to report on a different card, still waiting on the updates so I can provide data.

I was trying to time it just right, but unfortunately I had EQ inquiries going from 2-> 1 for scoring, so that data point is no good.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt (this was within the last few months).  As everyone tells you the next month report a balance and whammo, points are back.

Message 4 of 6
ForumPheen
Regular Contributor

Just happened to me today. Just lost 16 points (overall a whopping 23 points) for having all accounts report at 0.

30 days ago, I was up 44 points with one card reporting at 21%. Today, I have none reporting and I lost ground. Next week, I'll have one reporting at 1% so will see what that does.  

Gotta love/hate relationship with FICO as I play The Credit Game right now. 

Starting Score: EX 651/EQ 654/TU 668
Current Score: 735/721/732
Goal Score: 751 as lowest score by 8MAY15

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 5 of 6
taxi818
Super Contributor

@jamie123 wrote:

I received an alert that my score dropped 18 points for paying all my CCs to zero! Paid BoA account from $17 to $0 and lost 18 points. I pulled an EQ report and yes, that is the only change. This is just a heads up to let everyone know how important it is to have 1 card report a small balance. I was shocked at how many points that I lost.

Look here:

Im not sure why you are surprised. As you need to show some utilization to max out scores. even leaving that $17 bucks on there would help. Honestly i would rather not have any balances and care less about the points on my fico score. Thats just me however. Smiley Embarassed

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.