cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wow 20 down but only 6 up? Makes no sense??

tag
mandev97

Wow 20 down but only 6 up? Makes no sense??

I realize that everyone expresses the same frustration of not understanding exactly HOW a FICO score is determined...but this is crazy.....My credit dropped 21 points because of a collection in December (didn't know it was going there as I was working something out with the creditor, at least I thought I was)....anyway, I paid off the collection AND a $5618 balance on a CC with a $12,500 limit (I am a Realtor and received a commission check allowing me to do this). ANYWAY! After BOTH of those reported....my FICO only went up 6 points?? Really??

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
GregB
Valued Contributor

Re: Wow 20 down but only 6 up? Makes no sense??

Is the collection GONE from your reports or is it still there but showing paid? Paid collection hurts as much as one that hasn't been paid.

Message 2 of 10
mandev97

It is gone. It was removed, not just marked paid.

Message 3 of 10
mandev97

And the collection was $126

Message 4 of 10
cdtotten
Established Contributor

Something else must have changed in your report. Take a look at page 2 of your FICO reports and compare the factors hurting your credit score... what do they show?

Starting Score: 627 EQ, 621 TU - 11/15/08
Current Score: 778 EQ, 781 TU, 778 EXP 07/20/12 Lender Pull
Goal Score: 800 EQ & TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 10
John060675
Valued Contributor

I know you mentioned FICO a couple times in your posting, but I just have to make sure since your situation seems so strange.  You did purchase your FICO scores through this website, correct?  It is not a FAKO from another source.

Again, sorry to ask, but I just cannot believe your true FICO only went up 6 points.

Starting Score: 583 EQ, 612 EX, 569 TU
Current Score: 658 EQ, 648 EX, 618 TU
Goal Score: 720 EQ, 720 EX, 720 TU

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 10
mandev97

Thanks, John. Yes, I only pull from here. I have another CC that I paid off that reports on the 15th. I am interested to see what that does. Interesting...in the Score Simulator....it did tell me if I paid off the CC's, not even mentioning the collections, it would only raise my point slightly. Maybe over time it will creep up as they get further in the past and I show less utilization......I was just surprised putting the collection on hit me 21 points and removing it only increased 6. I know everything you read says even as it ages/falls off/is removed, it NEVER really is??

Message 7 of 10
John060675
Valued Contributor

Sorry to hear that.  It seems unfair, but I suppose FICO has a reason for doing this.  I just cannot see one from a consumer side.

Starting Score: 583 EQ, 612 EX, 569 TU
Current Score: 658 EQ, 648 EX, 618 TU
Goal Score: 720 EQ, 720 EX, 720 TU

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mandev97 wrote:

Thanks, John. Yes, I only pull from here. I have another CC that I paid off that reports on the 15th. I am interested to see what that does. Interesting...in the Score Simulator....it did tell me if I paid off the CC's, not even mentioning the collections, it would only raise my point slightly. Maybe over time it will creep up as they get further in the past and I show less utilization......I was just surprised putting the collection on hit me 21 points and removing it only increased 6. I know everything you read says even as it ages/falls off/is removed, it NEVER really is??

Your FICO score is configured (or whatever the proper word would be) based on those items that are on your report.  If it's not on your report, it's not impacting your score.

I've had some mysterious ups and down in my FICO score.  Sometimes I figure them out later - a delayed "oh!", and other times they remain something of a mystery.  My bet is something else changed on your report.  Your oldest account hit a threshold, or your AAofA, or an inquiry aged to a certain point, or a new account became a certain age.  So many moving targets - and many of them hard to decipher - on anyone's credit report.  Keep on keepin' on (you know - watch utilization, limit inquiries and new accounts, yadda, yadda) and you'll come out on top.  Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would bet on the oldest account crossing a threshold as well. In that scenario you would be newly compared against older credit files that may be stronger in aggregate.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.