cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wow..21 pts for leaving $122 on card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Wow..21 pts for leaving $122 on card?

I can confirm ByrdMan's assertion that the FICO formula uses percentages rather than dollar amounts when calculating utilization.

Specifically, the percentages in question are calculated by dividing balances by credit limits.  Ideally this figure should be greater than 0%, but also 9% or less.

It is possible for one's total CL to increase dramatically, as yours apparently has, without affecting the utilization calculation enough to affect one's score.  If your utilization is already very low, then increasing your CLs is not going to help.  Generally, one gets points for crossing certain utilization thresholds, but one does not necessarily get additional points for each additional incremental percentage change in utilization.

Revolving utilization is calculated (and scored) in two ways: as a percentage of total balances to total credit limits, and also as a percentage of balance to credit limit across all individual revolving accounts.  Each of these revolving utilization calculations are weighted about equally.

Installment utilization counts, too (and is calculated as a percentage of current installment balances in relation to original installment loan amounts), but it is not nearly as important to the FICO score as revolving utlization.

The FICO score simulator is intended to provide you with a tool to estimate the effects that certain changes will have on your TU and/or EQ FICO scores.  It is not a tool to be used to determine definitive balance thresholds.

Does that help clear things up a bit?

Message Edited by cheddar on 11-04-2008 08:47 PM
Message 11 of 23
Established Contributor

@marty56 wrote:

I loose points for 0% or > 9% total util reporting or more then 1 card reporting a balance.

I understand that the greater then 9% figure would be the standard point drop for increased utilization.

I also understand that 0% loses points. Are you saying that your score goes up when carrying any balance above $0 even one dollar? Does it then stay constant until it starts to drop at 9%?

In other words is it your experience that all balances (above $0) no matter how small will generate the same score that you have with 8% utilization?

Message 12 of 23
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

CreditAble wrote:

@marty56 wrote:

I loose points for 0% or > 9% total util reporting or more then 1 card reporting a balance.

I understand that the greater then 9% figure would be the standard point drop for increased utilization.

I also understand that 0% loses points. Are you saying that your score goes up when carrying any balance above $0 even one dollar? Does it then stay constant until it starts to drop at 9%?

In other words is it your experience that all balances (above $0) no matter how small will generate the same score that you have with 8% utilization?

CreditAble, first let me say that I don't generally just say that someone is wrong, without first fully understanding where they are getting their point of view.

Now, let me give you an example. When I recently opened my first revolving account (after being off the grid for a few years), I allowed $383 dollars to report on the card. Without knowing the CL, should I gain points or lose points? How would one know, if there is not proper criteria for measuring? The answer is that I lost 49 points, because that represented a util of 76%. The following month, I allowed $27 to report (5% util) and I gained 71 points. The month after that, I allowed $20 to report and the score remained unchanged. So, from my experience, my util being under 9%, kept me at the same score for two months.

Message Edited by ByrdMan on 11-05-2008 12:17 AM

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 13 of 23
Established Contributor

ByrdMan wrote:

CreditAble, first let me say that I don't generally just say that someone is wrong, without first fully understanding where they are getting their point of view.

Thankyou for your kind response and I hope that Cheddar will read this response as well. I appreciate his efforts to explain things also.

I don't want you to get the wrong idea but let me try to explain where I am coming from.

When I started my credit building adventure this board didn't exist. I was an "lovepizza" without a FICO forum. I lurked for hours in credit forums and read blogs upon blogs, many of which were written by totally ignorant (credit wise) people. I read every word I could find about FICO and the credit bureaus.

One of the first things I discovered was a simple way to raise a score 6- 10 points. That was even after I fully understood utilization. I was preaching 7-8% utilization before this board was even formed. I was piffing and carrying $0 balances on all but one credit card over 7 years ago. What you guys teach here is not what you hear on other boards. That is why I am here.

I  would not have had to work so hard to learn what I now know, largely through trial and error, if this board had existed eight years ago.

I have learned something that I thought some people might have liked to know about  in the FICO forum. It has absolutely nothing to do with utilization in the conventional since.

I fully understand utilization. When a balance goes up, utilization goes up. When a balance goes down, utilization goes down. When Utilization goes up score goes down. I am speaking of a situation in which utilization going down also causes the score down. It has nothing to do with conventional discussion of utilization.

I don't usually discuss utilization percentages. It is not because I don't understand how they work. It is because y'all do so well explaining things without my 2 cents being pitched in. I really would like to make the point that I really really absolutely positively know what I am talking about when it comes to the balance lower than 9% rule of thumb.

There is an anomaly that nobody talks about and I can prove what I am saying. People who PIF before the statement drops, might be able to pick up an extra 6-10 points. I humbly submit that somebody should check out what I have been saying.

6-10 points and it has nothing to do with utilization.

Please forgive my bluntness. It is late, I am really tired. If one wants to read my recent threads on the subject and try an experiment of his own, his scores most likely will go up. 

#1. Leave a $50 balance on one card one month.

Check score.

#2. Leave a $100 balance on a different card  the next month.

Check score.

#3. Leave a $150 balance on a different card the next month.

Check score.

#4. Keep increasing $50 until the score increases by 6-10 points. When the score jumps up, that is the minimum balance to cary on only one card every month.

Please note that the threshold could occur well below 1% of overall utilization. The credit limit of the individual card might possibly be below 2% of individual utilization.

The $50 increments would be appropriate for cards with $4,000-$29,000 credit limits. Total revolving credit lines  should be above $50,000. For lower limits use lower increments.

Percentages obviously count somehow since the minimum amount certainly has to be (much) lower than 9% of total utilization.    

Did it work for me? Yes.

Did it work for others that I told about it? Yes.

Will it work for everyone? I have absolutely no idea.

Why does it work like that? I don't know that either.

The people in this forum are very astute. Couldn't someone just check out what I am saying for himself.  Then I won't have to mention it any more.Smiley Very Happy

Here is another idea. Believe it or not the score simulator actually predicts a score range drop below a certain minimum balance. Anyone with a balance can just use the lump sum pay off calculator and see what I am talking about.

I know that the simulator is just a toy and is not meant to provide very relevant results. In the case of the minimum balance it pretty much gave me a decent ballpark number to test as my minimum amount. That leads me to believe that the minimum amount is some how related, possibly as a percentage, of the Total Revolving Credit Available. 

Message Edited by CreditAble on 11-05-2008 03:56 PM
Message 14 of 23
marty56
Super Contributor

@CreditAble wrote:

My experience:

0% - loose points.

1% - ($33) gain points (current score)

4% - ($100) gain points (current score)

9% - ($2500) gain points (current score)

20% - ($5000) loose points.

LOL if you really find that you loose points for letting say $1 report, it shouldnt be that hard to allow more debt to report.

FYI:

Since FICO always rounds up, $1 would be they same as a full 1% of your total CC credit limts.

As many others have said, its all about %.

Message Edited by marty56 on 11-05-2008 02:40 AM
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 15 of 23
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

CreditAble wrote:

6-10 points and it has nothing to do with utilization.

Please forgive my bluntness. It is late, I am really tired. If one wants to read my recent threads on the subject and try an experiment of his own, his scores most likely will go up. 

#1. Leave a $50 balance on one card one month.

Check score. 

#2. Leave a $100 balance on a different card  the next month.

Check score.

#3. Leave a $150 balance on a different card the next month.

Check score.

#4. Keep increasing $50 until the score increases by 6-10 points. When the score jumps up, that is the minimum balance to cary on only one card every month.

Please note that the threshold could occur well below 1% of overall utilization. The credit limit of the individual card might possibly be below 2% of individual utilization.

The $50 increments would be appropriate for cards with $4,000-$29,000 credit limits. Total revolving credit lines  should be above $50,000. For lower limits use lower increments.

Percentages obviously count somehow since the minimum amount certainly has to be (much) lower than 9% of total utilization.    

CreditAble, thanks for taking time to post this.  That said, what you posted has everything to do with % utilization.  The % is what is driving this whole phenomenon.

Others, Cobra comes to mind for one, state that they get another score increase under a certain util %, like under 3% or something like that.  What you are saying, in effect, is that you get an increase by finding a sweet-spot utilization %, just as long as it's under the 9%.  By your own admission, you acknowledge that an ideal CL would be $4,000-$29,000 make it work properly.  If it had nothing to do with utilization, then the CLs wouldn't matter.

CreditAble, I am not being argumentative, just pointing out that, in the end, it's all util %.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 16 of 23
Established Contributor

@marty56 wrote:

My experience:

0% - loose points.

1% - ($33) gain points (current score)

4% - ($100) gain points (current score)

9% - ($2500) gain points (current score)

20% - ($5000) loose points.

Thanks for the detailed reply.

Is it your experience that the "(current score)" is always more or less identical for 1%, 4%,and 9%?

I suspect that the percentage that comes into play for minimum balances, might be somewhere between 0% and 2%.

I have been using my minimum balance as a threshold example without stating my Total Credit Available. The $150-$200 minimum balance worked when my total available credit was about $10,000. It also seemed to work with total available credit above $60,000. I haven't verified it with my current higher Total Available Credit.

I am going to restate my original contention.

If people who cary only one token balance on a credit card and have more than $10,000 total credit available I might be able to help those people determine a minimum amount to allow to report which might increase their credit scores.

That amount is probably some kind of percentage of something. I suspect that it is a percentage of total credit available. I do not know for sure. I don't think anybody on these boards can know for sure. If anyone wants to experiment, perhaps there will be enough data eventually that a percentage relationship can be determined.

Most likely people with total credit available of $500 or less won't benefit much if any by determining a minimum balance to report. Nine percent of $500 is $45. The minimum balance for maximum FICO score could be around $4 or $5. It is assumed that one would spend that on the ever popular "cup of coffee". I am not so sure that a pack of "chewing gum" would generate the same score however.

People with $20,000 worth of available credit could be a different matter. Nine percent of that amount is $1,800. The minimum balance could very easily fall above $100. A cup of coffee and a pack of chewing gum might not be enough to raise the minimum balance above a score increase threshold. 

An easily performed slight adjustment to some credit score management plans could generate an ongoing 6-10 point increase.   

@marty56 wrote:

LOL if you really find that you loose points for letting say $1 report, it shouldn't be that hard to allow more debt to report.

That is the " slight adjustment " I mentioned above. Smiley Wink

Message 17 of 23
Established Contributor

ByrdMan wrote:

CreditAble,

thanks for taking time to post this.  That said, what you posted has everything to do with % utilization.  The % is what is driving this whole phenomenon.

Others, Cobra comes to mind for one, state that they get another score increase under a certain util %, like under 3% or something like that.  What you are saying, in effect, is that you get an increase by finding a sweet-spot utilization %, just as long as it's under the 9%.  By your own admission, you acknowledge that an ideal CL would be $4,000-$29,000 make it work properly.  If it had nothing to do with utilization, then the CLs wouldn't matter.

CreditAble, I am not being argumentative, just pointing out that, in the end, it's all util %.

I know that your are not being argumentative. It is definitely about the existence of a sweet spot.

I hadn't stopped to consider that some people have lower credit limits and, my own minimums certainly wouldn't apply for total available credit of less than $1,.000 for instance. I tried to  address that fact indirectly however, with the statement that $150 or $200 were amounts unique to my situation.

I never really considered the FICO score simulator anything more than a toy. I assure you that I didn't and still don't take the projections as seriously as some do.

I did discover the possible existence of the sweet spot using the lump sum pay down feature of the simulator.  I only paid attention to the highest projected numbers of the ranges. The high number dropped about 10 points when I entered a payoff off which left a balance of less than $150 or so.

Not believing that the simulator had any real relevance, I started doing my own experiments using the $150 number. Sure enough $150 worked some of the time and $200 pretty much worked all the time.  

If the sweet spot is generated as a result of a percentage, I strongly believe that it would be a percentage of Total Available Revolving Credit.

Presumably that would be the number FICO uses in computing the lump sum pay down feature of the simulator.

I never gave any thought at all to the individual credit cards CLs that I carried my minimum balances on.

It is possible that there are additional factors that come into play. All I know is that some people have been grateful in the past because a shared my limited insight with them. Those few points sometime make a big difference at mortgage time.

I strongly encourage others on these boards to explore the issue and perhaps a sweet spot rule of thumb based upon a determined % factor might be derived.

It is no longer anything but academic interest to me. Others will benefit a lot more than I will personally, if the phenomenon can be verified, analyzed and generalized as a percentage. 

I know how to tweak my own minimums should I need to do so. I will however be glad to "beta" test any percentage rules of thumb that others might come up with. This would be a perfect project for Ilovepizza.

Thanks for redirecting my attention about percentages.

I feel like a bus driver giving directions to others about how to transport 25 people from point A to point B.  Some of the other drivers might not be able to fit 25 people in their cars. I might be told that it is about percentages (of seating capacity).

Since nobody was providing a specific example of how percentages pertained to my minimum balance observations, I was focusing on the fact that percentages had nothing to do with my ability to transport the 25 people in my bus. 

Once I realized capacity was a variable as a result of your posts, I began to try to determine the actual percentage relationship source. I never really discounted the possibility that percentages were involved. I just wanted some one to connect the dots for me.

Now that you have forced me to examine and defend my beliefs, I am pretty sure that too little utilization may in fact be the variable. The utilization however would be an inverse factor. Not Utilization as conventionally understood.

Message Edited by CreditAble on 11-05-2008 04:10 PM
Message 18 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

OK fellas,

and this is what happens when you let report $0 after letting report $710 the month before: +36 points Smiley Very Happy

Big Pic

As ypu can see: there is a steep jump from the last two months!

My high was 711, then Amex reported $2400 of my $3200 limit and every CCC was aiming at me.

Well, they  shot me 6 times, but I survived.Smiley Very Happy

Message Edited by Flo on 11-15-2008 10:19 AM
Message 19 of 23
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Wow, a German hosting site! I'll throw in 5 more points for nerdy coolness. Smiley Wink

And congrats on the rebound.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.