Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yet another Fico vs. Fako

tag
JMerrill110067

Yet another Fico vs. Fako

Hello,

There is a large differential between two of my credit monitoring services that I pay for. Please help me ditch one, the other, or both depending on which one is accurate. $17/month is not insignificant.

My two accounts are: 

- Transunion Total

- Experian Direct (with just the one Experian score)

Which one is more accurate, please? When I search, I'm finding a lot of dated information and the OP's tend to not mention which service they use, so I'd like to reopen this discussion. 

Thank you!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
thom02099
Valued Contributor

Re: Yet another Fico vs. Fako

@JMerrill110067 wrote:

Hello,

There is a large differential between two of my credit monitoring services that I pay for. Please help me ditch one, the other, or both depending on which one is accurate. $17/month is not insignificant.

My two accounts are: 

- Transunion Total

- Experian Direct (with just the one Experian score)

Which one is more accurate, please? When I search, I'm finding a lot of dated information and the OP's tend to not mention which service they use, so I'd like to reopen this discussion. 

Thank you!

FAKOs should only be used for entertainment purposes, since that is their own caveat.  If I were you, I'd dump the ones that you're paying for, and if you feel the need for a FAKO monitoring service, use something like CreditKarma or Credit Sesame,which are both free.  However, be aware that they have their own flaws.  Hence their value only as an entertainment tool.

If you have a need to have a pay service, go with ScoreWatch and get a true EQ FICO score right here. 

Message 2 of 4
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

My question to you would be what is your purpose fror having a credit monitering service? I use a credit monitering service (which I pay for) which provides  FAKO score. I am fine with that. As a matter of a fact I do not even care what the score is no matter if it is FICO or FAKO.  The score is not why I have the service. The reason why I have the service is to make sure that the credit data being reported is accurate. If the data is accurate the score will be whatever it will be and the score will be correct..  Also, to checl for any fraudulaent or potentially fraud activity and resolve it ASAP. If you are buying the service just for the score I would rethink why you have the service.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash+ 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 C State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Quorum FCU State Department FCU State Department FCU Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 3 of 4
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@AndySoCal wrote:

My question to you would be what is your purpose fror having a credit monitering service? I use a credit monitering service (which I pay for) which provides  FAKO score. I am fine with that. As a matter of a fact I do not even care what the score is no matter if it is FICO or FAKO.  The score is not why I have the service. The reason why I have the service is to make sure that the credit data being reported is accurate. If the data is accurate the score will be whatever it will be and the score will be correct..  Also, to checl for any fraudulaent or potentially fraud activity and resolve it ASAP. If you are buying the service just for the score I would rethink why you have the service.

Yup, I agree.  I also use a credit monitoring service from AMEX, their CreditSecure.  I also understand it's a FAKO.  That said, I've also found that their FAKO is closer to my FICO here. Rather than for the score,  I also use the CMS primarily for the reports that are available, which for me are very thorough, and for the changes that post to my accounts as they occur.  I also have various alerts set up, and get notifications via email and SMS to my cell phone.  Then I can check CreditSecure, or come here and Check MyFICO reports. 

I do use the "free" services, but only for entertainment purposes, and they are usually not accurate and don't include my closed/favourable TLs.  Just today, I had to send a message to Credit Sesame, one of my credit cards is showing a balance (which I expected), but they are showing it TWICE, doubling the balance on my card, affecting my utilisation, and dropping my score a point.  No biggie.  I know it's incorrect as I checked my Experian report here after the date for the alert from Credit Sesame, and it's only reporting once.  It was a major purchase that I plan to pay off over a few months, but the "damage" was done at Credit Sesame.  Fortunately not at Experian, either from their report from here, or via CreditSecure, which should be, and is, the same data. 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.