Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yikes! When will I get my score back?

tag
itsjustmeibe
Regular Contributor

Yikes! When will I get my score back?

Ok, So AMEX treated me unkind and as a domino effect, I applied for new credit. AMEX CLD me from $19k on my Hilton Honors acct with a $7k balance to $8,200. Utilization nightmare. The balance is at least 5 years old and carries a 3.9% for life, (and belongs to my sister) so I have no intention on paying off.

I applied for and received 7 new credit cards in one spree (11/08), causing my average acct age to go down, and lost roughly 25 FICO points (753 to 728). What's hurting my score is: new account, high credit use, and balances on too many accounts. (Is this in order of what's hurting most?)

How long before I see an increase in score? My revolving accounts are $37k vs $116k credit, with balances on 6 out of 17 accounts.

By the way, just today, AMEX reduced my bluecash from $3k to $500.

I also have an 18yr history including 2 current mortgages, a HELOC (which is not included in the EQ report as revolving debt although it is @ $30k vs $30k limit), and 2 auto loans.

Payment History - GREATAmt of Debt - Not GoodLength of Credit History - Very GoodAmt of New credit - BAD

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Established Contributor

Re: Yikes! When will I get my score back?

@itsjustmeibe wrote:
The balance is at least 5 years old and carries a 3.9% for life, (and belongs to my sister) so I have no intention on paying off.

Unfortunately all of your other concerns about your score recovering will hinge on Amex and whether you will continue to get adverse action.

If only minimum payments were made on the Amex account for 5 years, Amex probably already gets an idea that you have no intention of paying it off.

Amex has seen that you have obtained more new credit instead of paying down the Amex card. What does it look like to Amex?

The next move is yours as far as Amex is concerned. I definitely wouldn't revolve balances on the new cards. I would aggressively pay down the balances on the other cards. That would help keep the Amex dominos from falling on your oyher credit lines.

Your answer to the question about how long before you will see an increase in score depends upon whether Amex closes your accounts or not. If the accounts get closed by grantor and you receive further adverse action by your other creditors, the question could be how much lower can the score go?

All in all with your credit history you should be alright. I just wouldn't automatically expect a huge score rebound. Of course your score will go back up if the balances on the accounts go down and you don't receive any further adverse action.

Does your sister care about your credit score as much as you do? Maybe she can help out a little bit. Perhapse she can make bigger payments.?

Can your sister obtain a credit card of her own and transfer the Amex balance to it?  

Message Edited by CreditAble on 01-15-2009 05:44 PM
Message 2 of 3
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Yikes! When will I get my score back?

itsjustmeibe wrote:

What's hurting my score is: new account, high credit use, and balances on too many accounts. (Is this in order of what's hurting most?)

Yes

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.