Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

You have recently been seeking credit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

You have recently been seeking credit

Some interesting data here: I think "you have recently been seeking credit", as a factor, is based on the number of accounts and their opening date, and not on inquiries. At least partly.

Here is why I think so:

I pulled a 3-bureau at CCT and I only see this factor show up for Equifax. I do not see it on Experian or Transunion. And my Equifax score is 727, while my other two scores are 5-6 points higher (733 and 732). So that factor seems to be hurting me for 5-6 points vs the other bureaus. 

So what is different? 

Well, I have 3 inquiries at Equifax, and also at Transunion. I have 6 at Experian. The TU and EX scores are *higher* despite the same or more inquiries. 

However, EQ, with the lower score, has ONE MORE ACCOUNT than the other two bureaus. My PLOC shows up on my EQ account, but does not show up on either EX or TU. The PLOC was opened in Nov 2014 so it is less than a year old. 

My hypothesis: The number of accounts you have that are less than N years old is what causes "you have recently been seeking credit". I don't know whether N is 1 or 2 years, guess I will find out in November when that PLOC ages.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: You have recently been seeking credit

Possibly, however each of the three CRA's use a different set of reason codes for the verbiage they post. So, a reason can show on one and not the others. Or, even with the same set of reason codes, they can vary based on the tweaks they do to the original Fico algorithm. Look at this image. The data in EQ and EX is identical, including the number of inquiries, and the scores are very similar. Yet the helping reasons listed are different.

Message 2 of 4
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

Yes, "You're not actively looking for credit.” kicks in after nine months. Just happened to my EQ.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous-own-fico wrote:

Yes, "You're not actively looking for credit.” kicks in after nine months. Just happened to my EQ.

Good to know! Thanks. I am looking forward to that. Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.