cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your religon or eithnic packground has a FICO Impact?!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Your religon or eithnic packground has a FICO Impact?!

By looking and hearing people talk, I kinda starting to believe that the FICO computer system might punish you for the name that you have. If your name resemble a minority or a religion that your parent followed when they named you, you might be punished for any delinquencies or anything much harder than someone that doesn't have the same issue. For example, lets say apples to apples, where A has no issue and B has an issue. They were both late on the same payments for the same day, same amount, same lender...etc. A will drop 10 points, while B will depend on his name and/or the religion and minority s/he belongs to. B might drop from 25 to 75 point for the same incident as A.
I believe the FICO system has adopted the idea of social behavior of groups and incorporated into the system. The foregoing might be true or not true, but personally and from my own information I gathered and seen, I'm starting to believe in it. I urge you to see and learn for yourself.
However, I would love to here back from you to see if you agree if the FICO scoring should incorporate the religious and ethnic background as a FICO scoring or not? Is it fair? May be it is, because it represent the social behavior of a group of individuals, however, do you think the name of a person can actual identify them within that group, or shouldn't the FICO system do more to investigate such, before infecting such punishment on that individual???
Again, don't take my word to be the final word, but seek your own investigations to the matter before you too believe in it. However, your opinion and answer to the questions above is the topic here.
Message 1 of 45
44 REPLIES 44
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Re: Your religon or eithnic packground has a FICO Impact?!

OMG - my first name is Scotish, and we all know what they are like!!  I am doomed to low FICO scores forever!!!   Smiley Sad
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 2 of 45
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Ethnicity and religion is 100% irrelevant.
Message 3 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is that you bobkelly?

Stirring up a differnt batch of trouble??
Message 4 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll play.  I think you should take your meds. 

FICO isn't looking at your name in determining your score - well, I mean, obviously they are looking at your name and ssn, but based in the context of what you are saying, then no, they are not.  Of course, I guess that is just my opinion since I don't work for FICO.

That said, I'll continue to investigate and not take your word, Mulder.
Message 5 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is way, way, way far afield of FICO having any blame, but your name can hurt your credit. At least one know case I know of--and an $800K case at that.

Message 6 of 45
SoulSmilen
Regular Contributor

There is no way in hell our financial institutions would base their decisions on a scoring system based on your allegations, and there is no way in hell FICO would create a scoring system based on the same. Our country may not be perfect, but that would be blatant discrimination beyond blatant discrimination.

That's even insane to think, much less say.

(I can't even believe I took the time to answer this)
Message 7 of 45
SoulSmilen
Regular Contributor

Noah_Bodie wrote:
This is way, way, way far afield of FICO having any blame, but your name can hurt your credit. At least one know case I know of--and an $800K case at that.

Just so it's perfectly clear what Noah is saying, the case in the link had NOTHING to do with Fair Isaac; it was Transunion.

And before the OP takes this and runs with it, that case wasn't discrimination based on her name or ethnicity, it was based on information incorrectly showing up on her file just like can happen with any of us with similar names.

Th-th-that's all folks! Smiley Happy
Message 8 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

SoulSmilen wrote:

Just so it's perfectly clear what Noah is saying, the case in the link had NOTHING to do with Fair Isaac; it was Transunion.

Absolutely true. The CRAs are frequently the target of FCRA lawsuits. They appear headstrong and stupid when they are wrong. Sometimes the OCs are named and guilty as well.

If anyone had any serious or substantive claim about racial, ethnic or religious bias in the FICO algorithm, you could expect that the mere claim, if made publicly, and if it had some appearance of merit, would result in the USDOJ climbing up the rectum of FICO and performing a complete exam.
Message 9 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

My scores went up, since I became the US citizen.
O yea, did I mention that I disputed some things, payed of my CC and not late for 2 years?
Smiley Wink
Message 10 of 45
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.