cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zero Utilization dropped FICO score 28 points!

tag
PaulE

Zero Utilization dropped FICO score 28 points!

I usually let a small balance report on my USAA MC and pay my other two cards down to zero before they report to give myself a total util of around 1%.  This month, I decided to switch and let my USAA AmEx report the balance, so I paid my MC down to zero.  Since my MC statement cuts 6 days before my AmEx that means I will have six days with all of my card reporting zero util.  While I expected a small drop, I was surprised to see today that my score dropped 28 points, from 789 to 761.  I would assume that it will come right back up once my AmEx reports next week?  Interestingly, when I used MyFico's score simulator to simulate paying all of my cards down to zero, it showed that my score would remain at 789.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Zero Utilization dropped FICO score 28 points!

@PaulE wrote:

I usually let a small balance report on my USAA MC and pay my other two cards down to zero before they report to give myself a total util of around 1%.  This month, I decided to switch and let my USAA AmEx report the balance, so I paid my MC down to zero.  Since my MC statement cuts 6 days before my AmEx that means I will have six days with all of my card reporting zero util.  While I expected a small drop, I was surprised to see today that my score dropped 28 points, from 789 to 761.  I would assume that it will come right back up once my AmEx reports next week?  Interestingly, when I used MyFico's score simulator to simulate paying all of my cards down to zero, it showed that my score would remain at 789.

Sounds like a bug in the simulator: we know your experience to be accurate but it's nice to see a concrete data point.  Was this recently on EQ vis a vis Scorewatch or similar or some other score?

        
Message 2 of 12
PaulE

@Revelate wrote:

@PaulE wrote:

Sounds like a bug in the simulator: we know your experience to be accurate but it's nice to see a concrete data point.  Was this recently on EQ vis a vis Scorewatch or similar or some other score?

Yes, I received a Scorewatch email alert this morning that my EQ fico score had changed and that a balance change had been detected.  Before I paid that balance off to zero, I ran that scenario though both MyFico's and CK's score simulator and both showed a zero point change.  Based on what I had read here, I was expecting a few point drop, but definitely not 28 points.  For another data point, I applied for a CLI a couple of weeks ago and once that HP hit my report, my score dropped 13 points, from 802 to 789.  So, it appears that going from 1% to 0% util has more than twice the negative effect as applying for new credit does.

Message 3 of 12
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

@PaulE wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@PaulE wrote:

Yes, I received a Scorewatch email alert this morning that my EQ fico score had changed and that a balance change had been detected.  Before I paid that balance off to zero, I ran that scenario though both MyFico's and CK's score simulator and both showed a zero point change.  Based on what I had read here, I was expecting a few point drop, but definitely not 28 points.  For another data point, I applied for a CLI a couple of weeks ago and once that HP hit my report, my score dropped 13 points, from 802 to 789.  So, it appears that going from 1% to 0% util has more than twice the negative effect as applying for new credit does.

That's interesting, I've never seen a FICO drop by 28 points for zero UTIL. It will be interesting to see what happens in six days when your card reports a balance again.

Message 4 of 12
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@-NewGuy- wrote:

@PaulE wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@PaulE wrote:

That's interesting, I've never seen a FICO drop by 28 points for zero UTIL. It will be interesting to see what happens in six days when your card reports a balance again.

FICO 8 on a gold-plated report, not out of the realm of possibility: the higher one's score, the harder one gets slapped for anything remotely wrong with the report.  Thank you for the detailed feedback PaulE!

        
Message 5 of 12
creditlady
New Contributor

This just happened to my husband just the opposite direction. My husband paid all 4 of his cards(some were overlimit) to a zero balance and his score only increased 13 pts. One card closes today so he let a 1% balance report so we will see if his score increases further

Message 6 of 12
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

@creditlady wrote:

This just happened to my husband just the opposite direction. My husband paid all 4 of his cards(some were overlimit) to a zero balance and his score only increased 13 pts. One card closes today so he let a 1% balance report so we will see if his score increases further

Well, your husband should see a boost when the 1% card reports. How much exactly is unknown and depends on other factors on his credit report. But it will go up!

Message 7 of 12
PaulE

@-NewGuy- wrote:

@PaulE wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@PaulE wrote:

Sure enough, when the balance on my AmEx reported this morning (bringing me back over a 1% total util), I got a Scorewatch alert that my fico score had changed.  +28 points, right back to the 789 I had before I paid all the cards off.  So, at least with EQ 08, it looks like zero util causes a pretty serious ding to your score.

Message 8 of 12
bdhu2001
Valued Contributor

@PaulE wrote:

Is the score simulator only for those with score watch? If not, can you provide the link?

Original Mortgage maturity Sept 2044; Refi maturity Dec 2030
Starting Score: EX 751 EQ 720 TU 737 on 4/9/14
Current Score: EX 849 EQ 835 TU 843
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 12
EW800
Valued Contributor

@PaulE wrote:

Sure enough, when the balance on my AmEx reported this morning (bringing me back over a 1% total util), I got a Scorewatch alert that my fico score had changed.  +28 points, right back to the 789 I had before I paid all the cards off.  So, at least with EQ 08, it looks like zero util causes a pretty serious ding to your score.

That is very helpful information for us.  Thank you!  I am going to be in that 1-2% range when a cuple of payments report, so it is good to see that it can be a heck of a spanking for going to $0 across the board.  It is also good to see even more confirmation that UTIL has no memory!  Thanks again!  

Year 2012: All Scores in the 520 range, during a foreclosure, CC Settlement and high UTIL. Very ugly days...
April 2023: EX8: 840; EQ8: 832; TU8: 842 -- Middle Mortgage Score: 822
In My Wallet: Discover $73.7K; Cap1 Venture $48.7K; Amex ED $38K; Amex Optima $2.5K; Amex Delta Gold $18K; Citi Costco $22.5K; Cap1 Plat $8.4K; Barclay $7K; Chase Amazon $6K; BoA Plat $21.6K; Citi TY Pref $21K; US Bank $4K; Dell $5K; Care Credit $6.5K. Total Revolving CL: $296K
My UTIL: Less than 1% - Only allow about $10 a month to report, on one account. .
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.