cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

anyone used a "guaranteed credit merchandise card" to raise available credit?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: anyone used a "guaranteed credit merchandise card" to raise available credit?

Actually, I just signed up for 2 merchant cards. I'd heard about them in the past (from credit secret bible and other sources) and was "investigating" when someone from a forum on my fico mentioned that he has one. He stated that he's very happy with the card.

The way one of my cards works is.......

I paid a one-time fee of $89.00 they report to TransUnion (only) an open line of "revolving credit" in the amount of $7,500. There are NO credit checks, NO employment, NO interest, etc.......

I made a small purchase of $72.00 just for reporting purposes. Each month I pay 15% or $25.00 whichever is greater. At that rate I only have to make 2 or 3 purchased a year! The card has not started yet, as I only received it earlier this month.

When I compare this to all the fees that First Primeir has with a low balance, inquiry, interest, etc.... I decided to add this to my credit file instead. I'll keep you guys posted to the results.

**Oh, these cards are only good for 1 year. But when you think about there are CC's like Hooter's that pull TransUnion. I think it may be a good thing!

Message 11 of 57
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: anyone used a "guaranteed credit merchandise card" to raise available credit?

so, how can I get one of those? can you direct me to a web site or something? thanks! If you'd feel more comfortable sending a PM, go for it.
Message 12 of 57
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm using usashoppingclub.com this is the same card the forementioned my fico member uses. Again, I just got the card this month so it's not reporting just yet.

Let me know how it works for you. I've found that most members frown this site frown on this card. But I'm not really sure why.

Smiley Very Happy

LaSha'

p.s. Also, there is a Horizon card w/ $3K limit. However, there is a monthly fee of $14.95 per month and it comes with a benefits package. The rep. told me that even if I "don't" place and order with them if I just pay the $14.95 per month. They would report to TransUnion as a revolving unsecured credit card (3K limit). So for $14.95 a month, I think it's a good deal..............that's over $10K on TransUnion, I'll apply for a Hooters and such toward the end of the year.

Good luck!

pssst. for some reason I wasn't able to send you a PM
Message 13 of 57
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks so much for the info! I will check out usashoppingclub.com and also look to see how it works out for you on reporting.

Not sure why you couldn't PM me, as I do have "Enable private messages" checked.
Message 14 of 57
Anonymous
Not applicable

In answer to my own question, I just stumbled on this site, which lists several different "catalog cards":
http://catalog-credit-cards.balance---transfer.com/

However, the first six card listed are, I believe, all equivalent to the usashoppingclub mentioned in a post above. I just spent a long time poring over complaints at ripoffreport.com about usashoppingclub (more than 100 going back at least to 2005). Main complaints seem to be: were "tricked" into signing up when they signed up for something at other websites, most notably payday advance sites, had money withdrawn from their bank account without knowing exactly who was doing it or how it happened (again, because of signing up for something else) (so, bottom line: they use sleazeball tactics to gain customers), very unresponsive customer service (in fact, the 800 number they publish is completely different from their real number), were told one down payment, but then a different, greater amount was withdrawn from their bank account, and (most alarming if one goes into it believing they know the terms) money continuing to be withdrawn from bank account after items are paid for.

A few years ago, when I was really bottomed out, I made the mistake of getting into a payday advance cycle that automatically deducted from my bank account. The auto deductions seemed to go on forever, and my bank would not cut them off because I had "agreed to those terms." Even after it was finally paid off, quite a few months later I started getting harassing calls from a CA claiming that I still owed money, and it showed up as a collection on my CR. I had to go through some effort to get that cleared up and removed (to their credit, the payday advance co. did remove the bad report very quickly after I called and they agreed that I was paid--but I think I was just lucky in getting a responsive CSR).

Since that experience, I am very very leery of automatic withdrawals from my bank account, even for established things like utilities or valid CCs. It is just too easy for mistakes to happen, for overdrafts to happen if the money is short on one particular day, resulting in exorbitant fees, a big hassle, and potential domino effect on other outstanding checks, and for unknown people to have access to private banking information, including merely incompetent/disorganized people and outright dishonest scammers and thieves, some most likely even in other countries.

I guess I'll avoid "merchandise cards" or "catalog cards" unless/until I come across an offer that doesn't sound "too good to be true." Smiley Wink
Message 15 of 57
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm in the process of raising my score two merchandise cards are USA platinum----they report to transunion -- you pay 150 get a credit line of 12,000, you can only use and buy on their site. the second merchanmdise card is ox publishing--- you buy digital media--they report to experian for now--but will be reporting to all three in next month I have been told the open lines help ---if pay on time and keep balance low.
Message 16 of 57
Anonymous
Not applicable

My question is how soon do you see the fico score go up after purchasing ox publishing credit cards.....and how much of a increase will you see if i buy two credit lines of $5000.00

fico scores: ex 505;tu 515;eq 460
Message 17 of 57
Anonymous
Not applicable

I read  somewhere about crown jewelry , the jewelry  all 10k gold but I received a 1500.00 cl , you purchase an item and u pay a certain percentage up front the rest goes into monthly payments .
Its a way to build your credit and they report to all three cra's.

So 1500 cl purchase 80.00  , have 1420 available should help utilization.

Message 18 of 57
Anonymous
Not applicable

ralph wrote:
I read  somewhere about crown jewelry , the jewelry  all 10k gold but I received a 1500.00 cl , you purchase an item and u pay a certain percentage up front the rest goes into monthly payments .
Its a way to build your credit and they report to all three cra's.

So 1500 cl purchase 80.00  , have 1420 available should help utilization.

CJ is a good way to establish a positive tradeline if you need one without a credit check, but be aware they no longer report to EQ.

Message 19 of 57
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the Horizon Gold, they report as a revolving account.

I also just signed up for a credit line with OX Publishing. They gave me a $10,000 credit line. I bought $200 worth of stuff and the required payment is $20.00 monthly. I will have it paid off in 10 months.

FYI I found them at "Credit Builder Credit Cards" http://www.supereasycredit.com/offers/feature/13
Message 20 of 57
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.