Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

asking for a credit line increase

tag
oracles
Valued Contributor

asking for a credit line increase

I got a new credit card 10 months ago. I have been paying the minimum due and never been late. when is it a good time to ask the CC company for a increase in credit. Thanks and BTW, this site is the best
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: asking for a credit line increase

oracles wrote:
I got a new credit card 10 months ago. I have been paying the minimum due and never been late. when is it a good time to ask the CC company for a increase in credit. Thanks and BTW, this site is the best

In reality, whenever you want. Which CC do you have? How about the CL and balance?
Message 2 of 7
oracles
Valued Contributor

the card is a bank of america and the balance is 5000 and limit is 5500. i used it as a transfer card cuz of its 0% rate. i wanted to ask for a credit increase to decrease the utl. I have another card like this, same amount of time 4000 limit and 3500 balance. I just wanted to know when is a good time to ask for a credit increase, where they will say yes. Thanks
Message 3 of 7
fused
Moderator Emeritus

oracles wrote:
the card is a bank of america and the balance is 5000 and limit is 5500. i used it as a transfer card cuz of its 0% rate. i wanted to ask for a credit increase to decrease the utl. I have another card like this, same amount of time 4000 limit and 3500 balance. I just wanted to know when is a good time to ask for a credit increase, where they will say yes. Thanks

Do you have any cash on hand to pay down these balances. It's not likely you will be approved for a CLI.
Message 4 of 7
oracles
Valued Contributor

how much do i have to pay down on each for them to say yes.
Message 5 of 7
fused
Moderator Emeritus

oracles wrote:
how much do i have to pay down on each for them to say yes.

It's hard to say! Every CCC has different policies. An educated guess...util <50% of the CL, <30% a much better chance.. Which cards are these?
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

BofA does review your accounts for a periodic credit limit increases.  I would say that the high utilization and the history of minimum payments has you stuck.  Try paying more than the minimum and get the utilization down.  Yo may be surprised with a CLI.  But that should be across the board.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.