Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

authorized user?

tag
shasta
Regular Contributor

authorized user?

I recently went through a separation from my long time girlfriend. I am an authorized user on at least 3 cards with her, 2 chase and 1 best buy.

1.) Can I remove myself as an authorized user?

2.) Will it benefit me? 

The chase is $2000 limit, $1000 balance, the other chase is $2000 limit, $1000 balance, the best buy is $3500 limit and $1500 balance.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Re: authorized user?

Yes I believe you will need to call the card issuers directly and they will need to let CRAs know (although you may need to dispute them off which is easy).

As for will it benefit you, it depends.  Basically the cards will disappear from your credit report.  So depending on the card, it can be good or bad.  A bunch of new cards with high balances = bad.  Old cards with high limits and no balances = good.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 2 of 3
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: authorized user?

Ditto to the above. FICO looks at the age of these in relation to your other accounts, and to your AAoA. It also looks at util. And it looks at your mix of credit outside of these. The util on these cards is roughly around 45%. If you have other CCs (ideally 2-3) outside of these, and have an overall util less than 45%, and these are younger than your average age of all of your accounts, then you could probably see a nice gain if removed. Conversely, if you have no other credit and these are your oldest accounts, you could see a hefty loss when removed. Personally, I'd take steps to remove them. Eventually your exDF will take you off anyway. If an AU, she'll eventually get a renewal CC with your name on it and probably take steps to remove you herself.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.