Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners
Valued Member

**bleep**!!!! Score Dropped .. feel defeated

So I paid my credit card down to 5% ultization from 11% .. The previous balance was $768 and now its  $375 (the limit is $6500) and my score dropped 11 points.  I swear this is the only change.  I have a department store card with JCP and last month I paid that to a $0 balance which got me the 11 points last month for Experian. What am I not doing right, I thought it was good to have one card at a $0 balance and have one card under 9%. So I paid the card down and Experian takes back the 11 points.. like **bleep**

Frequent Contributor

Re: **bleep** score dropped.. feeling defeated

I truly believe that it depends on your credit profile. That may not be the formula for you. I get really good results at 11%.

AmexPlat(NPSL)|AmexOpt (13100 AU)| Walmart(10000)|Discover(7000)|BB Visa(6000)| Pier 1(2750)|Kohls(2500)|J Crew (1100)|Amex Delta Gold(5000)| Amex BCP(22000)|BofA(7500)|Barclaycard(5000)|Venture WMC(6450)| Chase FU(2000)|QS(3300)Citi Diamond(4500) FICO 8 Scores EX 722(18) EQ 689(13)TU 720(23) Mortgage scores EX 691 EQ 671 TU 711 (March 18 2017) AAOA 3.2yrs
Contributor

Re: **bleep**!!!! Score Dropped .. feel defeated

colonygirl wrote:

So I paid my credit card down to 5% ultization from 11% .. The previous balance was $768 and now its  $375 (the limit is $6500) and my score dropped 11 points.  I swear this is the only change.  I have a department store card with JCP and last month I paid that to a $0 balance which got me the 11 points last month for Experian. What am I not doing right, I thought it was good to have one card at a $0 balance and have one card under 9%. So I paid the card down and Experian takes back the 11 points.. like **bleep**

Your FICO 8 did that?

If it was FICO 8, what did the alert say and what did the alert say last month? Was the score drop directly tied to a balance change or just coincidental?

Filed CH7 BK 4/2015 | Discharge 7/2015
Capital One Platinum $4k | Comenity Capital/Overstock $2k | NFCU cashRewards $1k
Valued Member

Today the alert said "the balance on one of your accounts has decreased by $394. Utilization percentage 11% to 5%.. Capital One ... On 2/2 it said "the balance on one of your accounts has decreased by $382" ...balance $382 to $0 BUT this was on my JCP card ..... however it gave me 11 points

My report isn't clean .. on Experian I have 2 chargeoff accounts that fall off in June and October  and 1 of the charge off was adding $540 to my utilization which is why I made such a big payment on my Capital One card.. I never would have execpted to lose points. 

Should I go on a shoppoing spree to the Capital one card back up to $769?

Established Contributor

[ Edited ]

Alerts and score changes are NOT always in correlation. Meaning, you scores could have changed days ago but *this* event triggered an alert. 

So  no, don't go on a shopping spree because you think it'll net you 11 points.

March '17: EX 686 | TU 680 | EQ 680 -- Starting (2/2016): 630 | 620 | 580 -- INQs: 15 | 24 | 26
Total CL on all cards: $56,500
Gardening until 4/2019
Established Contributor

FYI - double posting is sort of frowned upon...I responded on your other thread.

March '17: EX 686 | TU 680 | EQ 680 -- Starting (2/2016): 630 | 620 | 580 -- INQs: 15 | 24 | 26
Total CL on all cards: $56,500
Gardening until 4/2019
Valued Member

Sorry I'm new as of 1/2017
Senior Contributor

MrsCHX wrote:

Alerts and score changes are NOT always in correlation. Meaning, you scores could have changed days ago but *this* even triggered an alert. 

So  no, don't go on a shopping spree because you think it'll net you 11 points.

+1

FICO8 EQ 782 TU 804 EX 787 FICO5 EQ 722 Total revolving 395000
Contributor

colonygirl wrote:

Today the alert said "the balance on one of your accounts has decreased by $394. Utilization percentage 11% to 5%.. Capital One ... On 2/2 it said "the balance on one of your accounts has decreased by $382" ...balance $382 to $0 BUT this was on my JCP card ..... however it gave me 11 points

My report isn't clean .. on Experian I have 2 chargeoff accounts that fall off in June and October  and 1 of the charge off was adding $540 to my utilization which is why I made such a big payment on my Capital One card.. I never would have execpted to lose points. 

Should I go on a shoppoing spree to the Capital one card back up to $769?

Every husband that read that just had a panic attack Smiley Tongue

It's only 11 points. If you got originally it from optimal balances, you'll get it again and then some. Just work towards a clean and optimized report. It really does sound like you're on your way. Slow and steady... 

Filed CH7 BK 4/2015 | Discharge 7/2015
Capital One Platinum $4k | Comenity Capital/Overstock $2k | NFCU cashRewards $1k

Hi OP,

I have removed the cross post on this topic and combined the threads into one here in UFS. As already stated its not allowed to cross post on the same topic as it leads to confusion by the members and its against the TOS. Thanks for your understanding on this.

"If there's a lack of money in your life, understand that feeling worried, envious, jealous, disappointed, discouraged, doubtful or fearful about money can never bring more money to you, because those feelings come from a lack of gratitude for the money you have."
- Rhonda Byrne

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

† Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
‡ Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

* For complete information, see the terms and conditions on the credit card issuer’s website. Once you click apply for this card, you will be directed to the issuer’s website where you may review the terms and conditions of the card before applying. While myFICO always strives to present the most accurate information, we show a summary to help you choose a product, not the full legal terms - and before applying you should understand the full terms of products as stated by the issuer itself.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.