Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

buying a home

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

buying a home

I recently had an incorrect negative vehicle loan payment go on my credit report.  I contacted my loan institute and they said they reported to the credit bureau that the loan was actually paid on time and was not a late payment.  How long will this take to come off of my credit report as I am in the beginning steps of purchasing my home?  Is there a way to speed up the update process and will my credit score go back to where it was or will there be some negative mark still left?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: buying a home

I think the phrase that may apply is Expedited Reporting, which you may want to google and use for some Forum searches as well, while you are waiting for feedback.  I do not know much about it.

What I can tell you is that right now you need to have some tools in place that will enable you to pull your credit reports often.  A great choice for you at minimum would be Credit Karma, which will let you pull fresh updated reports as often as once a week, for both Equifax and TransUnion.  And Karma is free. 

Having tools like this will enable you to check frequently to see if the record has been updated at at least those two credit bureaus. 

Another suggestion: give the loan handler a call again in a couple days and ask them what progress they are making on fixing the mistake.  Specifically you want to know:

Have you sent the updated record to all three CRAs?

If yes, on what date was this sent?

If no, on what date will it occur?

It sounds like they said that they had done it, but you should get a confirmation with another rep and also get the date that this alleged update occurred.

In theory, each CRA database will get updated 2-6 business days after it was sent to them.  That's business days, not calendar days.  And 2-6 is just a reasonable guess.  95% of all updates get reflected within that time period.  Finally each CRA might take a different number of days than the other.  EQ might take 3 days with TU taking 5, for example.

When would you would ideally like to close on the house?

Message 2 of 4
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

I recently had an incorrect negative vehicle loan payment go on my credit report.  I contacted my loan institute and they said they reported to the credit bureau that the loan was actually paid on time and was not a late payment.  How long will this take to come off of my credit report as I am in the beginning steps of purchasing my home?  Is there a way to speed up the update process and will my credit score go back to where it was or will there be some negative mark still left?

Did you get a letter from the creditor telling you they made an error and will update your CR?  If so, give a copy of the letter to the LO so they can do a rapid rescore when the change is made on your credit record. 

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Buying a home is a big challenge. While buying a home, one can first start searching it either with the help of real estate agent or search online. One of my friend is planning to buy home in Long Beach NY co-op with water view and parking, as water veiw homes are expensive, one must set the budget first.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.