cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can I dispute an actual SCORE change? so confused...

tag
beautybrainsbooty
Regular Contributor

can I dispute an actual SCORE change? so confused...

so I paid down my credit card from 17,795 to 17,500 and instead of my score staying the same or going up a couple points it went DOWN 6 POINTS. Nothing else reporting with it, no alerts for anything. What could cause this? And can I dispute this directly with FICO? Help???!!!!

p.s. this will be paid off in 6 months for sure, but this threw me off. Why would it go DOWN??

started mid 500's. Disputed incorrect items and within a month or two my scores have skyrocketed and continue to do so
EQ: 755 as of 8/2013
TU: 700
Experian(or as I call them, the devil) I have no clue, they haven't released my report
Goal=801 across the board!!! Not too far from this, hoping to garden until Christmas 2013
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: can I dispute an actual SCORE change? so confused...

@beautybrainsbooty wrote:

so I paid down my credit card from 17,795 to 17,500 and instead of my score staying the same or going up a couple points it went DOWN 6 POINTS. Nothing else reporting with it, no alerts for anything. What could cause this? And can I dispute this directly with FICO? Help???!!!!

p.s. this will be paid off in 6 months for sure, but this threw me off. Why would it go DOWN??

You can't dispute a FICO score.  Your score could have gone down for reasons you don't know and the alert just seemed like it was tied to your balances.  You can't drive yourself crazy over scores going up and down a few points here and there.  That happens all the time and often for reasons that you'll never know.  Over time paying down a credit card balance will raise your scores.

Message 2 of 5
NRB525
Super Contributor

+1

OP you should update your siggy. If your scores are still in the 800 range, you've got no worries. Scores change with small moves like this for reasons that may not be called out in the alerts.

Also, this is one noted change. How long has the balance been there? What is the trend of the balance? $17k is a lot on one card to carry a balance, and FICO is a risk measurement tool. $17k qualifies as a noticeable risk item.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 3 of 5
beautybrainsbooty
Regular Contributor

I normally dont freak out over a 5 to 10 point flux, but this bothered me a bit. It is a newer balance (used for some big health expenditures for my mother whose very, very sick). Thank you for the answers and peace of mind. Paying down is a major priority.

I will update my scores asap!! So proud Smiley Wink
started mid 500's. Disputed incorrect items and within a month or two my scores have skyrocketed and continue to do so
EQ: 755 as of 8/2013
TU: 700
Experian(or as I call them, the devil) I have no clue, they haven't released my report
Goal=801 across the board!!! Not too far from this, hoping to garden until Christmas 2013
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

As JP Morgan would say, the scores will fluctuate.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.