Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can't seem to get score above 780.

tag
firedogut
Established Member

can't seem to get score above 780.

I want to make sure there is nothing i can do to increase my score.

I have 2 credit cards one is 11 years old and one is 8 years old.  Both have never been late and don't carry a balance on either.  I have a mortgage which is almost 5 years old (30 year fixed), never been late.   Had a car payment which ending in February.  no other loans or lines of credit.  nothing neg on reports, never had a late payment, no collections, have not applied for credit in the last 3-4 years (about 3-4 years ago had credit limit increased on both cards....they ran my credit then).

been at around 780 for awhile.  besides time, anything i can do to increase the score?

Starting Score: TU: 790 EX:792
Current Score: TU: 804 EX:809
Goal Score: Both above 830

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: can't seem to get score above 780.

Welcome to the forumsSmiley Happy.

If you don't mind me asking why do you want to get that high?  If you are trying to qualify to buy something you would surely qualify and with premium rates.

Message 2 of 9
firedogut
Established Member

personal goal i guess.   I believe when i bought my house i was a 800.  Not sure why i can't get back to it.

Message 3 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

You are only 70 pts from perfection, and I have never seen anyone who is alive reach 850!

A score of 780 is excellent in anyone's consideration, so I dont recommend that you do anything other than to become older!

But to address your question, you are no where near the max in either oldest  account, at your current 11 years max age, or average age of accounts, at your approx 11/9/5 on those three accounts, and the paid car loan you referred to probably also entered into you AAoA calculation, which puts you in the median of probably less than 8 years avg age of accounts.

Length of credit history is approx 15% of FICO score, which is a total of approx 127 pts.  You are maybe just over half way to max.  So that accounts for the difference in your score and max score. 

All you can do is further mature your accounts, and chill in the sucess to date!

It it all looks right to me.

Message 4 of 9
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

When you pull your FICO score report(s), what is the negative listed? (At your score level, only one negative will be listed, even though there are more that aren't listed.)

It's possible that you're being hit for high revolving util. Even though you pay off your bills monthly and never pay interest, if you pay after the statement drops (as would any sensible person), you're having your balances reported to the credit bureaus. If so, this would make it look as if you're carrying balances, even if you're not.

If this is happening, and you are truly bugged by your scores, try paying one card off entirely before the statement drops, and pay the other down enough that it reports 9% or less. Then make sure to pay it off, so that you don't get hit with a late charge or interest.

But this is just sort of an intellectual exercise. You really don't need to torture your scores and reports, but this is certainly your decision.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 5 of 9
firedogut
Established Member

>>>It's possible that you're being hit for high revolving util. Even though you pay off your bills monthly and never pay interest, if you pay after the statement drops (as would >>>any sensible person), you're having your balances reported to the credit bureaus. If so, this would make it look as if you're carrying balances, even if you're not.

The card that is 8 years old is only used if I travel outside the US.  It has not been used in over a year.   With the 11 year card, I pay as I go. I bet I make payments 1-2 times a week.   I haven't received a statement over maybe $100-$200 in a year or so, normally my statements are $0.   The limit is $16500 so we are talking at most I might be using 0.6%-1% of my credit on that card.  Other card has a limit of 16,500 also.  total limit is 33k. $200 of 33K is about  0.6%.  most on the card at one time in the year was $3000 but that was paid off before the end of the billing cycle....statement showed $0

Example: I just payed my auto insurance two days ago with my CC.  That same day I logged into the account and paid it off and it posted today.   Statement does not go out for another week.  

yes this is anal.......however when i was 21 i ran up 8k in CC debit. took me until i was 24 to pay it.  i have not carried a balance in the last 5 years...i am 29 now.  i will not run up debt again.

800 score is just a personal goal.   i figured all i can do it wait however i want to make sure there is not something I'm missing. 

thanks

Message 6 of 9
smallfry
Senior Contributor

I agree that all you need to do is wait. Great scores. Congrats. You might be losing a few points for a thin file. Is your TU only 780 as well? My last TU pull was 770 with an AAofA of 4 and oldest account 14 years.

Message 7 of 9
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

So, what is the negative that shows on screen 2 of your score report?

It might be something that you can't do anything about, such as length of history. But it's the factor that is most affecting your score.

Congrats on being so credit-wise!

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 8 of 9
smallfry
Senior Contributor

I think it might be just a ding for a thin file. OP states he has just a few tradelines. I wonder is he/she is omitting any closed lines which are still reporting and he has but a few OPEN lines?

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.