Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

changes to scores

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

changes to scores

How long does it take for my score to reflect changes?  Early this month I paid down my overall utilization by 80%. Should I expect to see a score change by next month?  Also is there generally a better time of the month (such as month end) to pull a score or does it not matter?
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
cobra19
Valued Contributor

Re: changes to scores

Your score will change when the creditor reports changes to the cra.  BTW, your score can also change when an account ages, an inquiry is reported, or removed, etc.

Keep in mind your score reflects what is in your report at the time you order and pay for it. It could change again the next day.  

New York Yankees - 2009 World Series Champions. 27... and counting.....
Message 2 of 7
laz98
Senior Contributor

i would try to wait until the end of the month, or maybe at least the last week of it.  a lot of creditors reports towards the end of the month.
Message 3 of 7
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

mrstuart wrote:

...Also is there generally a better time of the month (such as month end) to pull a score or does it not matter?

Take a look at the statement dates on all your accounts, and see when they fall.

Almost every lender updates your reports on the date that your statement posts (falls, drops, etc.) They report the balance due that is on that statement. Even if you pay it the next day, your reports will show what was owed.

Known exceptions to the report dates:
  • HSBC/ Orchard bank cards report on the last business day of the month, reporting the balance that you had at that point. (I write bank cards, because my HSBC Best Buy store card updates on the statement date.)
  • American Express reports the balance due on your statement, but they don't report this until four weeks later. So if your statement drops on the 15th, they don't send the info to the CRA's until the 12th of the following month. Then several days later, on the 15th again, they start all over. This is a real pain if you're trying to control the amounts reported to the bureaus.

Many CCC's will change your dates if you ask. However, they're used to people asking if they will change the due dates, not the statement dates, so you may have to get out the calendar and do some counting to make this work out for you.

About half my accounts update between the first and the fifth of each month. Some of the rest clump around the 15th-18th, and the rest are just whenever. If you haven't requested specific dates, it's going to depend on when you opened each account.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 7
marty56
Super Contributor

GEMB is slow to report a zero balance.  LOL they "peak" at my EQ report ech month though.
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 5 of 7
laz98
Senior Contributor

@marty56 wrote:
GEMB is slow to report a zero balance.  LOL they "peak" at my EQ report ech month though.

they peek at my reports every week!  it's kind of scary Smiley Sad

my experience has been they are slow to report everything.  i actually had time to purchase something, pay it off over 3 months, & zero out the account before they even reported that i had bought anything!!!

Message 6 of 7
marty56
Super Contributor

LOL they are not slow to report a balance though as being the prime suspect in why my TU score dropped.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.