Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

closed account with balance

tag
carly22
Established Member

closed account with balance

Hi,

I am trying to understand how long credit card accounts (closed due to delinquency many years ago with a balance) can remain on report.

I have a couple of accounts which were closed by grantors seven or more years ago that I have been trying to pay off.  I have continued to make payments but the balances are very near what they originally were due to late fees and extremely high interest rates.  these accounts are still reporting  (basically the past two years with no lates) but they do have older negative 30, 60 and 90 days in their history.

I read Experian's explaination of closed accounts on credit report.  They say "closed accounts may or may not have a balance and are accounts which are no longer available for use. "

"Closed accounts can be removed seven years from account closure"  I would like to dispute as obsolete a couple of these accounts even though I am still paying on the balances in order to remove the negative history.

Does anyone have any advice?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
carly22
Established Member

Re: closed account with balance

Help.....anyone

Message 2 of 3
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: closed account with balance

Negative accounts remain for 7 yrs from DOFD. Negative accounts can turn into positive accounts and remain for 10 yrs from closure date, but that likely won't happen with a balance owed still reporting.

Even if removed, you still would likely have to contend with SOL, in which the clock could get restarted with a payment.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.