New Visitor
blackhawk

closing out credit cards

If I were to transfer a high interest card to a lower interest card, will it hurt my credit score if I close the card I transfered out of, or is it better to leave open and show the available credit?
Moderator Emeritus
Brammy

It is never a good idea to close out old cards unless the...

It is never a good idea to close out old cards unless they have an annual fee.  Use it once a quarter for gas or something then pay in full. How much older is this card than the newer one?  Is it you oldest card?
New Visitor
blackhawk

It has an annual fee of $59.00,........

It has an annual fee of $59.00,........
Moderator Emeritus
Brammy

If you have better cards open and its not terribly longer...

If you have better cards open and its not terribly longer in history, I would close it at the anniversary daate.  If they offer to waive the annual fee, keep it open unil the following year and repeat.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}