Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

collection account change to current and open

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

collection account change to current and open

Sorry to blow the forum up. Also something that was three years old or so for some reason shows up as collection account and late 30 days. I currently took care of that problem to where it should show open and current. How will that affect a score??

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: collection account change to current and open

Collections should report as closed and not late. Which CRA did you dispute this with?

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

This was from a checking plus citibank account. For some reason the last month showed up as 30 days late, and the status changed from open and current to Collection account. I disputed with all three. I called Citibank and they also apologized and sent in the request. What will that do to my score?

Message 3 of 9
fused
Moderator Emeritus

I'm confused. Are you saying this account was reporting as open and in good standing, then it suddenly reported as a collection by a third party (collection agency)? 

What were your FICO scores before this happened?

Any other negative stuff on your reports? If so, what are they and how old?

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fused,

That is exactly what i'm saying. Scores are 573 TU 497 EQ.. The update has only shown but no change in score...yet...hopefully. But it did not show a third party agency, it just shows collection account with citibank. I currently (with deletions waiting to fall off) have three unpaid collections (not willing to delete) and about five paid collection accounts in full (before i found myfico and found out it was bad to do so). Also be advised none of the ones that I paid in full are willing to delete. I've tried GW letters and everything.

Thanks

Message 5 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

To clarify terminology, you first had an account with the OC.  The OC can close their account with you and, if legit, also report any prior delinquencies you had with the OC under your terms of account agreement with them.

The OC can then do one of three things.  They can continue to attempt to collect the debt themselves (some OCs will use their own internal "collection department" to pursue the debt, which, providing they use a name different than that of the OC account, is also considered a distinct "debt collector" under FCRA 803(6))), they can charge off the debt, or they refer further collection activities to a third party CA.

When a debt collector  reports their collection, that is a totally separate "account," not with you, but between the debt collector and the CRA.

A third party CA cannot report delinquencies of 30/60+ since you have no account agreement with a CA.  Only the OC account includes such reportings.

You state that you have no third party CA reporting to your CR, so it appears that the OC only took the first step.  Did their internal collection department additionally post a "collection" to your CR?

So, as I understand your post, you paid the debt with the CO, so it is now satisfied, and thus there should be no debt for them to now place into collection with a third party CA.

However, paying that delinquent debt does not, in and of itself, bring the OC account back into open, good standing status.  The OC account, under such conditions, would show closed, with status of zero balance.  You would probably have to make separate request for them to reinstate the account to open status, snd additionally ask for GW deletion of the prior 30-day late. 

Score wise, the 30-day late prior derog reporting remains for 7 years, and the account is closed and paid, which means you have lost the CL on that account in your % util calculation.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Robert,

Thanks for your response. That sounds to be about right. It is a checking plus (overdraft) account with Citibank. It usually shows my monthly payment of $52.00 on there and reflects open/current. Then all of a sudden it reflected collection account it dropped my score but I did not have the score the previous month just ones from a couple months ago. They agreed to change it back and apologized for the mistake. It is now supposed to show open/current.

Message 7 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Great work!

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Any idea what that will do to my score?

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.