Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

credit card reported to bureaus that card was lost or stolen

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

credit card reported to bureaus that card was lost or stolen

Will it have a negative affect on your credit score if a card you have is reported as lost or stolen?  This did happen and the credit monitoring service showed me that this was reported as "card reported lost or stolen"; it appears in the potentially negative information section just like where a collection would appear.

thanks

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: credit card reported to bureaus that card was lost or stolen

by the way I am continuing with this credit card.  They immediately sent me a new card. 
Message 2 of 5
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

If the credit card is "younger" than your AAoa (average age of accounts), it can hurt you, because it will lower your AAoA.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 3 of 5
smallfry
Senior Contributor

EX won't report the lost/stolen card much more than 2 1/2 years or so so the damage at least won't last the entire 10 years. I don't know how EQ would handle it though. Does TU report the "duplicate" tradeline. They did NOT in my case.
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

The lost/stolen credit card shouldn't hurt your score at all. When you receive your new card it will report with the same opened since date as the original card, thus having no effect on your AAofAs.

My JCPenny card was stolen 13 yrs ago and still shows that way on all 3 of my credit reports although I know it is only supposed to report for about 3 years. My "replacement" account shows also with original opening date and higher CLs.

I don't believe though, that this stolen card ever reported in the negative area of any of my reports. It's always been in the account section.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.