Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

credit monitoring/scores

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: credit monitoring/scores

This is new to me... a $10 balance on a credit card is better than zero balance?  Is that right?
Message 11 of 32
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

streamline wrote:
This is new to me... a $10 balance on a credit card is better than zero balance?  Is that right?

Yep

Message Edited by Tuscani on 08-12-2007 05:00 PM
Message 12 of 32
smallfry
Senior Contributor

@Tuscani wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
This is new to me... a $10 balance on a credit card is better than zero balance? Is that right?

Yep

You realize there is no proof to that and should really quantify the comment. Are you saying that if you have 15 credit cards that you should let ALL of them report $10 every month for maximum points? I don't think so.
Message 13 of 32
fused
Moderator Emeritus

@smallfry wrote:

@Tuscani wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
This is new to me... a $10 balance on a credit card is better than zero balance? Is that right?

Yep

You realize there is no proof to that and should really quantify the comment. Are you saying that if you have 15 credit cards that you should let ALL of them report $10 every month for maximum points? I don't think so.

I agree with Tusc! Several months back I was reluctant to try and see for myself but I went ahead and left very small balances on all of my CCs and my scores did go up some.
Message 14 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did score go up from carrying balances or because balances forced activity on all cards?
Message 15 of 32
fused
Moderator Emeritus

ilovepizza wrote:
Did score go up from carrying balances or because balances forced activity on all cards?

I believe it's the former. FICO likes low util.
Message 16 of 32
smallfry
Senior Contributor

@fused111 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I believe it's the former. FICO likes low util.

I can buy that FICO likes low utilization but the question is still unanswered. I have 8 revolving accounts and a car loan currently open. Surely you aren't advising that I let all 8 revolving accounts report small balances are you?
Message 17 of 32
smallfry
Senior Contributor

From my last Transunion FICO Report: you've been responsibly limiting the number of accounts with balances. This was listed as a positive in the understanding your score page. I don't advocate showing 0 balances on all accounts every month but I don't believe anyone should let all their accounts report. Remember that the creditors and FICO get info they don't share with us concerning our reports. If you have used the card a particular month and show a 0 balance they know you have used it. If you print a higher usage number than any previous month even you will see that in your Experian report. Lack of reportable balance is not the same as inactivity.
Message 18 of 32
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

@smallfry wrote:

@Tuscani wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yep

YES, if the util puts you at 1-9%!
Message 19 of 32
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

smallfry wrote:
Remember that the creditors and FICO get info they don't share with us concerning our reports. If you have used the card a particular month and show a 0 balance they know you have used it.
How?
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 20 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.