Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

credit score help

tag
rredstick9
Valued Member

credit score help

I need help! Credit Karma has me 60 points lower than what one of my credit card website available scores.  another credit card site score like Capital One has me 30 points difference. what can I use to get my actual score for all three that credit card lenders use?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Re: credit score help

@rredstick9 wrote:

I need help! Credit Karma has me 60 points lower than what one of my credit card website available scores.  another credit card site score like Capital One has me 30 points difference. what can I use to get my actual score for all three that credit card lenders use?

I wouldn't worry about either one of those "scores" as they are not used by any lender. Cap-1 mirrors CK, I have no idea why when Barclays, Discover and Walmart all offer real FICO 08 scoring for free. PenFed, DCU ad others offer free scores too. My "real" scores are in the 740-760 range (normal monthly movement) and CK has me listed at 637 "poor" which cracks me up every week when it "updates".

From Cap-1 I have a QS signature, GM buypower WEMC, Sony Visa and Venture Signature card - yet Cap-1 mirrors the same 637 - you think Cap-1 would issue those cards to someone with a 637 credit score?

Message 2 of 5
rredstick9
Valued Member

okay, where do I get my real scores that lenders use?

Message 3 of 5
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

@rredstick9 wrote:

okay, where do I get my real scores that lenders use?

Barclays, Discover, Walmart offer FICO 08 to their card holders, PenFed credit union and Digital Credit Union offer real scores to their account holders. Others can weigh in on several other lenders that offer free "real" credit scores. That being said, without membership or being a cardholder with any of these, you can purchase them from this site see "compare our products" for your options. Be aware that buying scores from the CRA's are not the same as true FICO scores as they use 'plus" or Vantage or some internal scoring models. 

An alternate way, although not always the best way, is usually when you apply for credit - cards or otherwise - the lender will provide you a score whether you are approved or rejected for your application. I believe there is a sticky thread on these boards that lists a whole bunch of ways to get scores, some real some non-FICO (I didn't bother to search the board, but you can).

Message 4 of 5
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.