Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

credit score specifics

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

credit score specifics

Does the score equate to a specific amount of credit? I know it' is computed using some type of formula. Are these consumer credit scores or business scores since the accounts on there are typically business accounts?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: credit score specifics

There are a lot of very helpful "pinned" threads at the tops of each of the sub forums. Check out the "Understanding FICO Scoring" form and the threads there. You should find the answer to your questions there.  Smiley Happy

And welcome to the forum!

Message 2 of 10
ChrisinKC
New Contributor

The only score you should really care about is the score that your lender uses, which more than likely is not one of the scores that FICO makes available to you, nor willl you know beforehand which FICO score to look for since lenders aren't required to disclose which FICO scoring formula that they use.  In my experience, I haven't found a single lender who would even confess to knowing which FICO scoring version they used.

So pretty much you'll be in the dark on what your scores are until you apply for a loan, and in that case your score will be lowered just because you applied for the loan.

Good luck,

Message 3 of 10
NRB525
Super Contributor

@ChrisinKC wrote:

The only score you should really care about is the score that your lender uses, which more than likely is not one of the scores that FICO makes available to you, nor willl you know beforehand which FICO score to look for since lenders aren't required to disclose which FICO scoring formula that they use.  In my experience, I haven't found a single lender who would even confess to knowing which FICO scoring version they used.

So pretty much you'll be in the dark on what your scores are until you apply for a loan, and in that case your score will be lowered just because you applied for the loan.

Good luck,

Thsi reply is actually not addressing the OP question.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 4 of 10
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Does the score equate to a specific amount of credit? I know it' is computed using some type of formula. Are these consumer credit scores or business scores since the accounts on there are typically business accounts?

The FICO scores are a personal credit measure, intended to combine all of your payment history (at least the last several years), including any negative events like not paying on time, not paying at all, and other risk factors associated with credit that you have taken out earlier. The score can be held down by large amounts of existing loans, such as in my case, because those outstanding debts are a risk factor for any one bank to be paid back.

A credit card company will be more likely to give you a higher limit if your FICO score is higher, because in the forumlas, a higher FICO score indicates a longer history of no problems making payments. The actual amount of the credit limit, however, will depend on your ability to pay, such as annual income.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NRB525 wrote:

@ChrisinKC wrote:

Good luck,

It's also, yet again, incorrect information, since a) MyFico does provide all of the scores that the lender is likely to use, and b) The vast majority of lenders will happily provide the scores and versions used in their lending decisions.

Message 6 of 10
ChrisinKC
New Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

@ChrisinKC wrote:

Good luck,

It's also, yet again, incorrect information, since a) MyFico does provide all of the scores that the lender is likely to use, and b) The vast majority of lenders will happily provide the scores and versions used in their lending decisions.

And your post is wrong, yet again.  In the last 2 home mortgages that I've done within the past 3 years, not a single loan officer that I spoke with knew or was willing to find out what FICO scoring version was used.  Maybe you're just a very lucky person who just happens to work with the only loan officer in the world who is willing to provide that information to you.

Furthermore, there are multiple mortgage FICO scores for all 3 bureaus.  MyFico provides ONE of them for each.  So again, YOU are wrong.  Nice try though.

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ChrisinKC wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

@ChrisinKC wrote:

Good luck,

And your post is wrong, yet again.  In the last 2 home mortgages that I've done within the past 3 years, not a single loan officer that I spoke with knew or was willing to find out what FICO scoring version was used.  Maybe you're just a very lucky person who just happens to work with the only loan officer in the world who is willing to provide that information to you.

Furthermore, there are multiple mortgage FICO scores for all 3 bureaus.  MyFico provides ONE of them for each.  So again, YOU are wrong.  Nice try though.

You really think that your experience with two mortgage lenders sets some kind of paradigm for the industry? Well, here's a clue: It doesn't. And the vast majority of mortgage lenders pull what is commonly known as Fico 04 - which is provided here.

You really should cease with the spreading of erroneous information here at this forum as it might mislead the less informed who visit here for accurate information.

Message 8 of 10
ChrisinKC
New Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@ChrisinKC wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

@ChrisinKC wrote:

Good luck,

You really think that your experience with two mortgage lenders sets some kind of paradigm for the industry? Well, here's a clue: It doesn't. And the vast majority of mortgage lenders pull what is commonly known as Fico 04 - which is provided here.

You really should cease with the spreading of erroneous information here at this forum as it might mislead the less informed who visit here for accurate information.

First of all, I never said that I spoke with just 2 lenders.  I said that in my last 2 home mortgages, which included multiple lenders each time, and none of them knew or were willing to find out or disclose what FICO version they would use.  

You were the one who was providing erroneous information, as you indicated that myFico provides all mortgage scores that a lender is likely to use.  That's just simply not true when there are many other lenders who aren't using FICO 4 for Trans Union.  So maybe you should quit posting?

Message 9 of 10
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Enough with the petty squabbling.

Ger back on topic or leave the discussion.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.